biggest amphibian legally kept in australia (SA)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
Hey

Out of interest
Does anyone know the biggest or some of the biggest frogs/toads that were allowed to keep here?

Cheers

Im sure you could go catch your self on of those bufo marinus,

they get to a decent size ;)

We dont have cane toads around here in SA, well not where i live :) In in the gawler region
What else is there?

---------- Post added 12-Jan-11 at 04:33 PM ----------

any not posionus ones?

White lipped tree frogs are largest species in aust. Great barred frogs are another large species but very hard to get hold of

Last edited:
That sux huh.
None are anywhere close to the size of the bullfrog, cane toad or horned frog.
Were not allowed any of them in SA huh?

only native species are allowed to be kept for obvious reasons

mmmmm....
is the white lipped the biggest out of the tree frogs?

White lipped tree frogs are largest species in aust. Great barred frogs are another large species but very hard to get hold of
I know of someone who has them but I wouldn't buy through him again. Also The White Lipped Tree Frog is the largest "Tree Frog" in the world.

---------- Post added 12-Jan-11 at 05:09 PM ----------

Im sure you could go catch your self on of those bufo marinus,

they get to a decent size ;)

Fun fact they changed the scientific name to Rhinella Marinus.

I know of someone who has them but I wouldn't buy through him again. Also The White Lipped Tree Frog is the largest "Tree Frog" in the world.

Really? What about the Wallace's flying frog of Borneo? It's a tree frog in the genus Rhacophoridae.

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool. Im definately interested. And they can be housed with green tree frogs?
Can dainty tree frogs be kept in the same type of environment? Do all have that blue marking on them?

Sorry to keep asking questions, I find frogs fascinating

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thats pretty cool. Im definately interested. And they can be housed with green tree frogs?
Can dainty tree frogs be kept in the same type of environment? Do all have that blue marking on them?

Sorry to keep asking questions, I find frogs fascinating

Your help is greatly appreciated

talking about the flying frog?

about keeping white lipped and green tree frogs together...
And then in my other enclosure red eyes and daintys together (and do all daintys have blue on them?)

---------- Post added 12-Jan-11 at 05:48 PM ----------

are we even allowed the flying frogs?

never seen a dainty with blue on them so no, most are green like red eyeds. As for housing together they will be fine but make sure they dont breed

Because being such closely related species keeping them together could quite easily end producing hybrids. If you mix species if any eggs are laid they should be discarded and not allowed to develop

ahhh...I didnt know that.
So housing the white lipped with green tree frogs is cool?
Are we allowed the flying frogs?
If so are they also okay with the red eyes and the dainty (making sure none cross breed)

No flying frogs are exotic and can not be legally kept in australia

Well I have to say they are a pretty spectacular frog.
Thanks for all the info hornet.
I think im going to get some white lipped in with my green tree frog.
And in my spare enclosure ill set up some daintys and red eyed tree frogs.
Do the daintys and red eyes have to be given different conditions compared to the green tree frogs?
Also my white lipped, when it goes in.. do i have anything from the conditions that suit me green tree?

---------- Post added 12-Jan-11 at 06:14 PM ----------

Sorry didnt edit properly in the last part i mean. do I have to change anything.....

If I were to catch a wild Cane Toad and keep it, would it be illegal? Not that I want to, Its just something I thought of now.

Last edited:
The White Lipped Tree Frog is around the size of 11-14 cm, while Wallace's Flying Frog is usually around the 10cm mark, according to Wikipedia. Wikipedia also states that the White Lipped is the largest tree frog in the world, as do a number of other websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back