Black headed python sizes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazreilly

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Looking at expanding my collection with some bhps . Read up on rough adult sizes but have also been told QLD locals seem to get on the bigger side. Any advice from experienced keepers on sizes from different localities ?? Cheers

WA animals tend to be smaller but other than that there doesn't seem to be any significant variation in sizes between QLD & NT.
Having said that I have some NT/QLD animals that are no where near as big as others.
We would have 14 adults here at the moment and the biggest would be a QLD girl but shes not much bigger than our biggest NT girl.

WA animals tend to be smaller but other than that there doesn't seem to be any significant variation in sizes between QLD & NT.
Having said that I have some NT/QLD animals that are no where near as big as others.
We would have 14 adults here at the moment and the biggest would be a QLD girl but shes not much bigger than our biggest NT girl.

Ok yeah interesting thanks for the reply . If i can pick your brain for some info ?
1.Would you say females get bigger?
2.What size enclosures are the bigget ones happy in and do they need much height ??
3. Do you know of any good breeders in sydney and if not how do you feel about freight ??
Cheers

Highly recommend the WA pilbara locale for their calm nature, brilliant black/ white banding and relatively smaller adult sizes....just sayin':). There's a good breeder in Vic, if interested?

BHP from RDU.jpg

Picking my brains is why I'm here.......

1. Yes definitely. Not a huge difference length wise but body girth the females can be significantly larger.
2. The biggest enclosure size I use is 1.8m long. 900cm deep and 600cm high. They 'generally' dont need a great deal of height to their enclosure as adults but claims that they dont climb are incorrect particularly as young animals.
3. There are plenty of breeders around but for most people its more about getting the animal that is right for you rather than just sticking to your own area. I used to be quite concerned about freight but after a few years of sending animals round the country including to regional airports I have no concern anymore. Its relatively inexpensive and quick. I have yet to have any problems. Personally I restrict movements during summer but thats just my nervousness.

Highly recommend the WA pilbara locale for their calm nature, brilliant black/ white banding and relatively smaller adult sizes....just sayin':). There's a good breeder in Vic, if interested?
View attachment 321208
Yep im swaying toward the pilbara . Great looking animal! Bred by you ?

Picking my brains is why I'm here.......

1. Yes definitely. Not a huge difference length wise but body girth the females can be significantly larger.
2. The biggest enclosure size I use is 1.8m long. 900cm deep and 600cm high. They 'generally' dont need a great deal of height to their enclosure as adults but claims that they dont climb are incorrect particularly as young animals.
3. There are plenty of breeders around but for most people its more about getting the animal that is right for you rather than just sticking to your own area. I used to be quite concerned about freight but after a few years of sending animals round the country including to regional airports I have no concern anymore. Its relatively inexpensive and quick. I have yet to have any problems. Personally I restrict movements during summer but thats just my nervousness.
Thanks for the advice mate. Good to hear you have had no dramas with freight its reassuring so i now i will consider buying interstate . Doesnt seem to be many quality breeders in sydney (that i have found)So i guess my next question would be if you are a breeder where are you located and do you have anything available ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality WA animals are not as regularly available as other BHP's. And less often do they come available at good prices. I have seen some advertised recently that made me look twice though.

I don't have any WA animals at the moment I'm afraid. We have a couple of B&W Axanthics still available but they don't come cheap.

IMG_BHP_AX_1622F.jpg

Quality WA animals are not as regularly available as other BHP's. And less often do they come available at good prices. I have seen some advertised recently that made me look twice though.

I don't have any WA animals at the moment I'm afraid. We have a couple of B&W Axanthics still available but they don't come cheap.

View attachment 321211
Ok no worries . Ill have a hunt around , not in a rush ,just doing my research and looking around probably looking at coming seasons hatchies unless of course i see something that i cant resist! How much do your axanthic hatchies and yearlings go for anyway ?

The advantage in sourcing locally is that advice is available locally. If you cant find captive bred bhps in Sydney there is something wrong. Sydney has about a quarter of Australia;s population and most of Australia's reptile expos so there should be plenty available.

Thats a fair point Wokka but buying locally doesn't guarantee sound advice from the seller. Nor does buying from interstate guarantee that advice and support won't be available. Finding a mentor....someone you respect and get along well with can be a godsend. I sell more animals interstate than I do locally, many of those going to NSW and I'm always on hand with advice or just for a chat with our customers. Selling animals is not just about selling an animal, its about support.

Thats a fair point Wokka but buying locally doesn't guarantee sound advice from the seller. Nor does buying from interstate guarantee that advice and support won't be available. Finding a mentor....someone you respect and get along well with can be a godsend. I sell more animals interstate than I do locally, many of those going to NSW and I'm always on hand with advice or just for a chat with our customers. Selling animals is not just about selling an animal, its about support.

That's interesting Paul, I'm based in Sydney and I too sell more animals to other states than I do locally, a lot from referrals from old customers, I too spend a huge amount of time by phone and email advising and assisting. It has often puzzled me when I send lots of Julatten jungles to Nth Qld and albino Darwins to SA at twice the prices they cost locally in those areas? No I don't breed black heads.

The advantage in sourcing locally is that advice is available locally. If you cant find captive bred bhps in Sydney there is something wrong. Sydney has about a quarter of Australia;s population and most of Australia's reptile expos so there should be plenty available.
Can you point me in the right direction then ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back