Blood in urates?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred603

Reaction score
I need help, my female woma has a few specks of blood in her urates. it is only a few speckles. this happened about a week ago. she is feeding on 2 doc a week.
upload_2019-4-23_13-40-16.jpeg

she went again and everything was fine.

i then later went away for the weekend and got back today and found this.
upload_2019-4-23_13-41-54.jpeg

as you can see there is a few specks of blood in it.

does anyone know what this is and should i be worried? she seems normal and hasn’t lost any weight or colour

While not common to see its also not as rare as some might think.
Difficult for a test to clearly identify the cause as both urinary and renal tracts share a common exit point meaning the blood could be from either.

When I have seen this in the past its normally been in young animals, (maybe an indication that the walls of these tracts might be more fragile than in older animals).

A female Diamond we have here had surgery for a rectal prolapse and understandably showed signs of blood in her urates for a time after surgery (common tract)

Im not a vet but my first thoughts are dehydration. Your post above states she is feeding on '2 doc a week'. I have no idea what the 2 doc refers to and the age/size of the animal could be as important as the volume of food you are giving her.

Maybe for now feed her 'wet' to try and increase her hydration and see if the blood increases or reduces.
Is there anything sharp in the enclosure that could be responsible for an external injury that could potentially be responsible?

While not common to see its also not as rare as some might think.
Difficult for a test to clearly identify the cause as both urinary and renal tracts share a common exit point meaning the blood could be from either.

When I have seen this in the past its normally been in young animals, (maybe an indication that the walls of these tracts might be more fragile than in older animals).

A female Diamond we have here had surgery for a rectal prolapse and understandably showed signs of blood in her urates for a time after surgery (common tract)

Im not a vet but my first thoughts are dehydration. Your post above states she is feeding on '2 doc a week'. I have no idea what the 2 doc refers to and the age/size of the animal could be as important as the volume of food you are giving her.

Maybe for now feed her 'wet' to try and increase her hydration and see if the blood increases or reduces.
Is there anything sharp in the enclosure that could be responsible for an external injury that could potentially be responsible?

I appreciate the reply.

2 doc (day old chicks)

There isn’t really any sharp things in her enclosure and if there were she wouldn’t of had time to touch them. i literally took her out of her tub to put her in her new enclosure and she within 2 minutes started doing her business. So i’m trying to rule out that it is a cut.

She did go again today or yesterday but i didn’t get to notice it while it was fresh and i couldn’t see any blood but it is hard to tell with the substrate i am using if there were anymore blood.

I was planning on breeding her this year. Still trying to figure out if it is safe or not. What are your thoughts on this?

If it were me the only substrate I would be using would be butchers paper.
Will make it easier to assess any blood presence that way.

I wouldn't breed her if I were in any doubt at all over her condition. Its a long time between now and egg laying and the whole process could cause the problem to worsen, (if there indeed is a problem)

I have seen it from time to time when I was keeping Blackheads(always females) It was very infrequent and didn’t seem to affect them at all day. The 2nd pic reminds me more of the mess you get when feeding day old chicks. BTW 2 doc/week is definitely not enough for a Woma that you’re trying to get into breeding condition.

I have seen it from time to time when I was keeping Blackheads(always females) It was very infrequent and didn’t seem to affect them at all day. The 2nd pic reminds me more of the mess you get when feeding day old chicks. BTW 2 doc/week is definitely not enough for a Woma that you’re trying to get into breeding condition.

I normally give 2 docs and an adult mouse. She’s not particularly big for a woma but she’s fat. A tad heavier than 1400g which is what she was last year from previous owner before introducing male.

Do you think i should be worried? She isn’t showing any difference in behaviour and hasn’t lost any weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back