Blue tongue bitten by dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liljayco

Reaction score
Please help me!! My son somehow got my partners
blue tongue out of it's cage and my dog grabbed it and ran away. I got the dog to drop the lizard nut it has a deep puncture wound in it's side near it's rear leg.
Is there anything I can do?! I don't have a car and my mother in law won't be here for 40 minutes, to take me down to the vet.:cry: There seems to be a lot of watery blood coming out of the hole:cry:

blue tongue out of it's cage and my dog grabbed it and ran away. I got the dog to drop the lizard nut it has a deep puncture wound in it's side near it's rear leg.
Is there anything I can do?! I don't have a car and my mother in law won't be here for 40 minutes, to take me down to the vet.:cry: There seems to be a lot of watery blood coming out of the hole:cry:

Keep it calm in the dark with heat and try and bandage the wound somehow to stop the bleeding, that is about all you can do till you get to the vet.

we had a similar situation happen but it was with a wild blue tongue, one of our dogs had gotten ahold of it, we are quite a bit away from a vet, so we grabbed some bandages and some tissues, we put some betadine on the tissues and cleaned the infected area, then put some more betadine on a folded up piece of tissue and placed it on his wound, we then wraped the bandage around him and put him a spare tank we have and let him sit there, we had him somewhere dark but where we could still kep an eye on him to keep his wound from being infected. we released him (because he was wild) after a week and a half or so. maybe try that, or something similar. i know it sounds very DIY and strange but it worked and he seemed very happy and healthy afterwards blue tongues are very hardy animals.

clean wood with diluted benadine then apply paw paw cream antiseptic cream natural product have used it extesively with great sucess clean wound dailey apply paw paw if area becomes imflamed straight to vet as it my become septic good luck

I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me but I lost the lizard :(
Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Yeah the same thing happened with me but with my cat i kept my bluey alive for a week but he soon died due to a hole in his neck. When you have cats and dogs in the house always have a lid on the enclosure.
hope he does well

Try and keep the lizard warm, and somewhere dark where it can hide to minimise any further stress. If you decide to try and bandage the bluey to stop the bleeding, be aware that reptiles do not have a diaphragm- if you restrict them too much via a tight bandage, they will not be able to breathe adequately.

Try to get the bluey to a veterinarian ASAP- canine and feline bites transmit a lot of potentially harmful/deadly bacteria if they become established within an animals wounds. The wound needs to be cleaned appropropriately and antibiotics need to be started as prophylactic treatment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back