Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble_pants

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hawkesbury, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
I have loads of questions, hopefully everyone can add what they know.
first, how many types of blueys are there? how different from each other are they? did I hear about a Tasmanian bluey?
What temperatures should they have for what times of the year and seasons and at what age should they bruminate in captivity?
how rare are albinos in the wild?
are shinglebacks technically blueys as well?
and anything else of interest that you might know past the basics, im interested, very intrigued.

The types of Blueys really just depends where the skink lives- Eastern, Northern, Western, Blotched, Inland, Tasmanian. I think there may be more like the Irain Jaya but I'm not to sure, and then there is the Shingleback and te Pink Tongued skink. I imagine that to have breed albinos into the reptile hobby, there would have had to be at least one wild caught albino to breed. For Blueys a basking lamp is recommende but I have heard of people using heat tiles. 20-30 degrees in the day, maximum is 35, if keeping Shingles do not put the water dish under or above a heating tile or lamp as this will make humidity which will lead to Shingles getting respiratory problems. This is just a bunch I info put together I made a better one with more details last night but computer problems stopped that. Anyway I'm not an expert and this is just basic stuff, hope this helps though.

There are definitely Tassie blueys mate, they're a form of the Blotched blueys, with a red head.
Hazordous-Herps covered pretty much all the species, except for the little Adelaide Pygmy bluey, which was thought extinct and only rediscovered in 1992.
In terms of brumation, a lot of people will keep them inside and heated over their first winter (or so I've been told) to give them a 'bit longer to feed and grow before brumation'. That said, I've just bought a bunch of 18 month old lowland blotched blueys that were kept outside in Melbourne since birth, have brumated twice and are absolutely huge. So it's debatable.
What do you want to know 'beyond the basics'? A

tiliqua scincoides=bluey tiliqua rugosa=shingleback, Both are awesome though, And if you are looking for a lizard, Get a bluey for sure :) they are awesome

Have a look through my website mate... It covers most of them... Cheers

Joe

Tasmania have the Blotched Bluey (Tiliqua nigrolutea) but not all have a red head. We have a number of Bluey's ranging in various ages and all are different. Some have brown heads, some have a greenish head etc.

One thing I have been informed is that bluey's patterns are the same as our fingerprints, no 2 are identical (confirmation of this is always appreciated).

We keep ours outdoors so they live in as natural a state as possible.

Daz

PS. Just for interest, a mate recently had acall out for a bluey that turned out to be black with a grey belly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back