Boyd’s Forest Dragon Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleysdragons

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have two juvenile Boyd’s forest dragons, one is about 6 months and the other about 8 months. It’s currently breeding season for them and though I’m assuming that they are too young to breed, they’ve been showing to be what I think is breeding behaviour. They have both started digging in one part of the enclosure daily and are down there all day just digging around, this is new behaviour for them. The female has become much darker in colour and has also become a little bit grumpy and defensive when I’m handling her. Could this just be their instincts as we are in breeding season?
Let me know if you have any advice 😊

Attachments

• 78382D56-5A64-4F3E-B1C0-74AEF701A0C4.jpeg
    78382D56-5A64-4F3E-B1C0-74AEF701A0C4.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2C7E2CA8-3554-4E09-BDBE-BCD739788A69.jpeg
    2C7E2CA8-3554-4E09-BDBE-BCD739788A69.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 3
I would keep an eye on them even if they are young, I had a northern bluetongue skink that gave birth a day before its 1 year birthday, yours may not give good eggs yet but still keep an eye on them 👍🇩🇰

Hi, there is no "breeding season" in captivity, especially if the animals are permanently housed indoors, because we control the conditions to a much greater extent than in the wild (or if kept outdoors). Sexual maturity has nothing much to do with age, it`s more about size, in particular the snout to vent length, and they often become mature around 1/2 to 2/3rds adult size..

Back