Boyds Forest Dragon Information Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah just to clarify, I didn't build that enclosure so I take no compliments or praise for it's doing. I bought this recently as well as another which has a desert theme which was a cracker as well.

This one has a misting system which has taken a little while to get right. Humidity and temps seem to be ideal now. I have a juvenile boyd's in the large enclosure (awaiting female) and two 8 week old's in the smaller enclosure.

Will keep them separate until they all adults.

Hi guys,

Have been lurking for a while and ready to take the dive into a single/pair of Boyds. I will be taking juveniles.

I am looking at the Exo-Terra 90x45x90 with the monsoon spray setup to help maintain correct temps/humidity.

I live in QLD so I need to get licence still, applying for that in the coming days but would prefer to get all the equipment first.

I don't want an eyesore so is there anything else in the terms of "All In One" units or maybe even something a little larger for a pair. Exo-terra is visually appealing.

Enclosure
Exo Terra : Natural Terrarium Large / Advanced Reptile Habitat

Monsoon RS400 Misting System
Exo Terra : Monsoon RS400 / High-pressure Misting System

Alternatively, if anyone is near the Gold Coast I'd like to get some tips from someone with hands on experience :)

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Struggling to talk to any Boyd's owners other than Mr. James who I have chatted to a bit. Their enclosure is pretty much ready to go now but it seems either other owners are very quiet or hardly anyone keeps them. Traffic in any forums is minimal and facebook groups non existent.

Off to enjoy this ride alone it seems :)

Struggling to talk to any Boyd's owners other than Mr. James who I have chatted to a bit. Their enclosure is pretty much ready to go now but it seems either other owners are very quiet or hardly anyone keeps them. Traffic in any forums is minimal and facebook groups non existent.

Off to enjoy this ride alone it seems :)

Yeah there's not a lot of info out there... I've met a couple of people who have kept Boyd's "but no longer keep them" there were a lot of ads on gumtree & a few other reptile sites of people selling Boyd's inc hatchies...

Wouldn't hurt to contact them for some info perhaps... Or just run your set up by them... I looked into getting some as I really like their prehistoric look & colors... From what I've heard they are more of a display reptile & I prefer to interact with mine...

Give me a yell Dragonstone. I'm on the Goldy and have kept Boyds.

Glenn
M: 0420 311 678

Yeah I was looking at a snake or other type of lizard initially but these caught my eye. Plus the family wasn't too keen on a snake. Lol

Not sure why more people don't keep them though!

Thanks Glenn I'll shoot ya a text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ubupy5e8.jpg

A bit of a rush job as I'm moving house in a few weeks but their enclosure is ready for some 2 month old juveniles that I am picking up tomorrow.

hi all. my name is kelly and i am on the sunshine coast. i have only just aquired two boyds. I have been reading heaps on thier care but the one part i cant find any tricks to is thier eating, which is nothing. They are 5 and 7 weeks old. oone has a larger head and is rambunctious and a little angry. the other is placid and handlable. Maybe they are just settling in. the elder just shed his tail. however live woodies and crickets they are not interested in. even small wiggly earth worm i cut in half they dont want. I have left them on a saucer and i have tried tongs feeding..at present nothing. I am misting with a spray bottle twice a day at present and waiting for my mist king to arrive. Any clues?. am i worrying?. cheers kelly.

Are they eating at all? Any pics of the two? How big is their enclosure

Is the food you offering of relative size you've lizaard

hi..Enclosure is a reptile one and is 2x2x3 feet high. I originally had them in a much larger enclosure but it was a busy tank (plant wise). and they just hid. Food is small enough for thier mouths and also alive and moving. This enclosure is temporary for 6 months till they out grow it. i needed a small one to keep an eye on them. View attachment 305826

- - - Updated - - -

Also here are a couple of pics of them.

View attachment 305827

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 305829and another

- - - Updated - - -

1601010_10152337869179416_925968570_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1620695_10152337860564416_969051244_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1920050_10152335739984416_520382222_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1662539_10152339504564416_1888155027_n.jpg

They look fine as does the enclosure.

When was the last time they ate and how many insects each?

hi there..they were fed on sunday i believe by the fellow that sold them to me. the big one had 3 little woodies and the small one had 2 i think.

Here is the original tank set up which i realised at thier young age was a bit unsuitable.

1655996_10152321645259416_479540688_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A breeder on bribie called john perry. He has quite a few. beautiful enclosures he has. fully decked out. he loves his boydiis

I see such beautiful enclosures in this thread and can't wait to get my long term set up done as my three little ones grow into it (they're still tiny). I don't really have any means/tools to do a DIY/custom job for the enclosure itself so am limited to what is commercially available. And of course I'm discovering that there isn't much out there in the sizes we're talking for these guys!

After way more hours surfing the web than I should admit to, I think I have narrowed it down to two possible suspects.

Exo-Terra Large X-Tall coming in at 90x45x90.
A Reptile One enclosure that is 60x60x90.

They're frustratingly similar, what you lose in width off one you gain in depth in the other so I wanted to ask if anyone has used either of these for adult boyds and are there any pros/cons to one over the other. The biggest difference I can see is sliding doors over swing opening and that's much of a muchness.

One things the sites DON'T tell you is how heavy they are (substrate not withstanding). Judging by the constuction of the cabinets, does anyone know, preferably from experience, if a run of the mill, sturdily constructed melamine enclosure would be sufficient as a 'base' (with an inhabitant) or is that just a disaster in the making?

I wanted to know if the 3ft is in fact high enough at all or do I need to be looking for something completely different. I have a few months to nut it all out but I'm a planner!

FINALLY, has anyone had any success having enclosures shipped from overseas or brought back as oversize luggage? Going to the US in Sept so this is a definite possibilty. (Might need to ask this in a more general thread I realise).

Wouldn't worry about overseas stuff. Freight and duties taxes will negate any savings. I have a trio in a exoterra. Doing well so far

Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards the exoterra more, just because I like how it looks more than the reptile one. I do think I will come down to shallow things like that, I can't find much else as point of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back