Bredli Tank Size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Bredli used to be in an enclosure 1800 high 1200 wide by 600 deep and she used to love climbing every inch of her home.
Ive just upgraded my bredli enclosure to a large timber one about the same size. How did you heat it? Ive got a 150w globe in the top right corner with a large branch mounted under it which goes up to the light. Did you need any other heating like a heat mat to raise the temperature in the lower part of the enclosure?

It gets pretty cold in my house
Does anyone have any temperature control advice?

Cheers

Ive just upgraded my bredli enclosure to a large timber one about the same size. How did you heat it? Ive got a 150w globe in the top right corner with a large branch mounted under it which goes up to the light. Did you need any other heating like a heat mat to raise the temperature in the lower part of the enclosure?

Cheers
150w might be too extreme, I use 75w and it goes up to 34 no problem just after winter,

Do you have a thermostat? If not I'd recommend getting one of those, or a lower wattage

150w might be too extreme, I use 75w and it goes up to 34 no problem just after winter,

Do you have a thermostat? If not I'd recommend getting one of those, or a lower wattage
Yeah I have a thermostat, the tank isnt reaching a high temperature and Im pretty sure 150w isnt too much, any lower the enclosure would be cold. The reptile shop guy who delivered it put it in. I am just asking to make sure its alright for the tank to be a lot colder at the bottom. Im asking for tips because ive never had an enclosure this large so i dont know how to heat it correctly.

Cheers

1504925739081736943045.jpg

Looking at your tank, I would say the 150 is ok, but be careful when the weather gets warmer. You might need to swap it for 100w. If you're concerned about the temps at the bottom, a heat mat will help.

Looking at your tank, I would say the 150 is ok, but be careful when the weather gets warmer. You might need to swap it for 100w. If you're concerned about the temps at the bottom, a heat mat will help.
Thanks for the advice I was thinking the same. Do you think I should put a heat mat under the enclosure where the hide is on the same side as the light?

Cheers
I used to run a 150w globe in the top right also lol. I had a shelf with a tile directly under the light which would retain a basking temp of around 34 and then there would be a gradient of about 10 degrees between the top and bottom of the enclosure.

@MattyV05 that's a very nice enclosure you have there, personally i would be putting a 3 watt heat mat under the left side hide and if you have a spare cheap thermostat it might be an idea to use it as well just in case, it can be very hard getting a proper gradient in an enclosure of that size using 1 heat light, so if the 1 you have now is used primarily for basking the under hide heat mat will take care of the rest. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

@MattyV05 that's a very nice enclosure you have there, personally i would be putting a 3 watt heat mat under the left side hide and if you have a spare cheap thermostat it might be an idea to use it as well just in case, it can be very hard getting a proper gradient in an enclosure of that size using 1 heat light, so if the 1 you have now is used primarily for basking the under hide heat mat will take care of the rest. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-
Thanks, I just had it made . Yeah Im about to have a spare one when my B1 thermostat comes back from a warranty claim. Sounds good I will try it, im heading to a pet shop now.

I used to run a 150w globe in the top right also lol. I had a shelf with a tile directly under the light which would retain a basking temp of around 34 and then there would be a gradient of about 10 degrees between the top and bottom of the enclosure.
I have though about a shelf but didnt think of putting a tile thanks

Be very careful putting a heatmat on the floor of the enclosure, they are designed to be used externally under glass enclosures only.
If you want to do something internally try a heat cord between tiles.

Do you know where I can buy a heat mat? Ive been struggling to find one, I can only find ones for glass vivariums. Ive never used one so I dont even know what the right ones look like.
Thanks

Do you know where I can buy a heat mat? Ive been struggling to find one, I can only find ones for glass vivariums. Ive never used one so I dont even know what the right ones look like.
Thanks

As Scutellatus said, a heat cord would work well. I use one zig-zagging between tiles and attached to a thermostat :)

Be very careful putting a heatmat on the floor of the enclosure, they are designed to be used externally under glass enclosures only.
If you want to do something internally try a heat cord between tiles.
Thanks I think I am going to do this :)

Oh I missed that comment thank you I will try It.
Have you got any tips on making it? Can you use duct tape to tape the cord down? And would you put any spacers to stop the cord getting crushed before gluing it together with silicone?
Thanks

I would use aquarium safe glass silicon to hold it all together. You can use sliver metallic duct tape to hold the cord in place as long as you don't have any protruding out from between the tiles.
Once you have it in position lay a tile over the top with a sealing bead of silicon around the edge. You can plug it in once sealed and the heat will reduce the curing time for the the silicon. I wouldn't worry about spacers unless you have a monster snake.

I would use aquarium safe glass silicon to hold it all together. You can use sliver metallic duct tape to hold the cord in place as long as you don't have any protruding out from between the tiles.
Once you have it in position lay a tile over the top with a sealing bead of silicon around the edge. You can plug it in once sealed and the heat will reduce the curing time for the the silicon. I wouldn't worry about spacers unless you have a monster snake.
Thanks so much

Okay so I have made the heat tile. I have it outside while the silicone cures. I assume it is okay if silicone is on the cord itself. I used silver gorilla tape to hold the cord in place then I put a heap of aquarium safe silicone all around the edges, put the tile on top then filled all around the sides, then smoothed it off by running my finger around the sides. I might put it under his hide with a thermostat probe on it. Have I done it right?

20170927_155422.jpg

20170927_162815.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back