Breeding Rats/Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneEyed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm wanting to start breeding rats for my drastically expanding collection. Before I dive into it been doing some research and wanting to know if anyone had tips and tricks. Initially we need to produce about 19 in various sizes and this is growing. Cost per piece isn't initially the point of this but more so quality and consistency. But long term a cost effective production would be ideal. What's the best way people euthanize them ? I gather a hammer is frowned upon? How much time does it take for your production of rats ?

Any help muchly appreciated
[doublepost=1580282267,1580279834][/doublepost]
Hi all.

I'm wanting to start breeding rats for my drastically expanding collection. Before I dive into it been doing some research and wanting to know if anyone had tips and tricks. Initially we need to produce about 19 in various sizes and this is growing. Cost per piece isn't initially the point of this but more so quality and consistency. But long term a cost effective production would be ideal. What's the best way people euthanize them ? I gather a hammer is frowned upon? How much time does it take for your production of rats ?

Any help muchly appreciated

Forgot to add, what's some reliable sources of information on disease in rats to look out for in breeding is there certain ones you'd not breed and terminate out ?

Back