Broard tails and southern leaf tail geckos, Whats the difference/?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redelapid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my reptile books and it says thier are broard tailed geckos that live in NSW and another book says thier is southern leaf tailed geckos in NSW, just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two species and if you have any pics feel frre to share :)

Aaron

Phyllurus platurus are Broad tailed geckos. They are around the sydney area.

Saltaurius Wyberba and S.Swaini are Southern Leaftail Geckos that are found in NSW and QLD.

I don't own any yet but Gibblore and Goldmember may help out with the pics.

Last edited:
Well Smithers has put it one way, I will put it another. I personally call Phyllurus platurus the Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko, and do not call anything a Broad-tailed Gecko.

My reason for this, Broad-tailed Gecko is a relatively recent common name made up by Wilson and Swan, back in the Cogger days they were Southern Leaf-tailed Geckos, and I really don't want to change especially when I think Broad-tails sound so crap.

My personal names
Scientific- Common
Phyllurus platurus - Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko
Saltuarius swaini- Swain's Leaf-tailed Gecko
Saltuarius moritzi- Moritz Leaf-tailed Gecko
Saltuarius kataea- Kate's Gecko
Saltuarius cornutus- Northern Leaf-tailed Gecko
Saltuarius wyberba- Granite Belt Leaf-tailed Gecko
Saltuarius salebrosus- Still working on a name. :/

The more people can refer to things by their scientific names the less problems we have.

(Out of curiosity Smithers where did you get the swaini and wyberba as being Southern Leaf-tails, it is not the name in Wilson, Swan, in fact I don't think I have heard it substituted for them before just that platurus was being called a Broadtail as well as a Southern. Besides wyberba already has a well solidified common name, and swaini has now been split into two species, and calling both Southern Leaf-tails would be more confusing than even the Broadtail addition. Don't mean to be 'attacking' I am just being curious and stating my reasoning at the same time which I realise could come out wrong.)

Two of S.moritzi from the wild (Don't have any swaini but the difference is tubercles on the tail so you are not missing much picture wise)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenmahony/5341264171/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenmahony/5397844110/

And one of platurus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenmahony/5078074588/

Last edited:
Im a tragic lmao,..I used Wiki..lol. I typed in Southern Leaftail gecko and got those two. I used the Wilson Swan 1st edition to refer the broadtail as you mentioned. I just typed in broadtail it comes up refering to both.

Yes common names are a bit miss leading at time's. I am still learning a lot of the scientific names I have only been into geckos for a couple of years now and learning more every day

I am increasing my book collection Stephen, this week I got both swans Lizards and pythons books, and just quietly there's a 2nd edition of Wilson/Swans Guide to Reps of Aus on ebay.. :) I'll try and limit my Wiki addiction.

After learning all the names of the 13 classes of the Japanese Koi and most fo the common varieties of Cichlids you'd think I'd get the rep's down pat hey,....like Shannon said,..Im an evolving creature with reps. Wiki=Bad :)

Last edited:
Thanks eveyone, especially gecko photographer, i have three Southern Leaf -Tailed geckos (phyllurus platerus0 and i found somewhere on a NSW Fauna website or something that said the broard tailed gecko was phyllurus platerus and southern leaf tailed geckos were saltuariuas something, and im like what the?, because i always thought my geckos were phyllurus platerus

And also i my two female phyllurus platerus have eggs in thier bellies and will lay soon, this is my second year of breeding them and if you have any experience with incubating leaf tail eggs please tell me :)

Thanks again, Aaron

I hatched 3 clutches in pearlite last season incubated at 24deg cel, 60 pearlite to 40 water mix

attachment.php

Last edited:
aww thats so cute that little hatchling :) , wouldnt 24 degrees be a bit too cold ?, and i heard something about spraying them with water to make them moist should i do that or just leave them with the mix of spagnom and water and wait until they hatch?

Looks like you need to give yours a bit of twiser action Sam

aww thats so cute that little hatchling :) , wouldnt 24 degrees be a bit too cold ?, and i heard something about spraying them with water to make them moist should i do that or just leave them with the mix of spagnom and water and wait until they hatch?
This species is only found in the greater Sydney area so as you can imagine 24 degrees isnt cold for them at all.
Spagnum moss comes wet so all you need to do is squeeze it out and off you go, you shouldn't have to add any water, just air the tubs once a week for a minute or put a couple of small holes in the tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back