Building my first snake house

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyWbb

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be getting a Python in 2-3 months in the mean time I'm building its inclosure from MDF.

I was wondering what i will need to fully tend to it "home needs".

Thanks

Hi Tony, welcome. Will you be purchasing a hatchling or an adult? The type of enclosure you build will depend on the snakes breed/size. Either way, you will need a heat source.. Either a heat light, mat or cord. In your mdf enclosure you will need holes for the cords to run through. You need to monitor and regulate the temperature with thermometer/thermostat. A cool end should be around 27degrees and high end should be around 32degress. This also depends on the breed of snake you choose and may vary. Make sure you have good access from the front of the enclosure (large glass sliding doors) for ease of access when cleaning tank or taking out your pet. Snake needs a hide and water bowl. A medium to put on the bottom of the enclosure, you can use something simple like newspaper, or you can buy substrates from a pet store ie: kritter crumble etc.
and that's about it for the basics mate. :) happy to discuss further with you in pm if you have any further queries.

I'd like to get a hatchling more than an adult so i can tame it down myself
and I'll be using a heat mat under the floor lining.

That enclosure above would be a bit big for a hatchling, while you can put younger/smaller snakes in larger enclosures without much hassle as long as they have plenty of hides I think that is too large for a hatchling. Better suited to a yearling.

What type of snake are you looking at getting?

I would be more inclined to put the heat mat inside the enclosure with a ceramic tile ontop of it rather than under the timber as I would say the heat will have a hard time penetrating through, just make sure your thermostat probe sits on top of the tile.

A hatchling is better kept in a click clack (plastic container) with a small heat mat or heat cord under one end. A 7l sistema is ideal; when it has outgrown that, it's time for an enclosure.
If you use MDF, make sure you seal the inside well, even if you decide to paint or stain it. Most water based clear sealers are ok, or a pond sealer. A cage over any light fittings is essential too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back