busted geelong

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Catcher Victoria

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...s-exotic-snakes/2007/02/16/1171405413677.html
Drug bust uncovers exotic snakes
February 16, 2007 - 11:57AM

A Victorian man is facing massive fines and a possible prison sentence after police and wildlife officers seized two exotic boa constrictors and two native carpet snakes.
Police discovered the reptiles at the 26-year-old man's house in Geelong during a drugs swoop yesterday.
The boas - which are native to Central and South America, and measured 2.75 and 1.8 metres in length - were being kept without a permit, a Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) spokesperson said.
Exotic snakes are banned in Australia under state and federal laws and permits are only available for native species.
"Boa constrictors can spread potentially devastating diseases to our native pythons," DSE Wildlife Officer Doug Winckle said.
"The permit system for keeping native reptiles is in place to ensure they are acquired from legitimate sources and kept in appropriate conditions."
If convicted, the 26-year-old faces fines of up to $110,000 and also a possible maximum prison sentence of two years.
All the reptiles would probably be euthanased to contain any potential disease threat, Mr Winckle said.
AAP

The only thing thats missing is guns, theres usually a firearms charge to go with the other two.

The three seem to go hand in hand.

Donk

Is the disease threat from imported animals or is there still a risk if the animals are raised here? Just curious as I thought the major problem would be that the snakes could escape breed and take over, much like in the everglades in the US.

Lets hope the punishment shows the rest of illegal keepers the pitfalls of puting our native fauna at risk.

My hunch is that he will end up with a slap on the wrist.

There are many who have been caught with far more dangerous (eg large numbers of exotic venomous snakes such as spitting cobras) animals who have received no more.

Is the disease threat from imported animals or is there still a risk if the animals are raised here? .

The disease threat is from imported animals. The majority (surely) of exotics are being bred in healthy numbers here anyway so I think that mention of disease in the article was just included to make it sound a little more sensational.

Id say there is still a large number being brought in.

I hope its no-one on here!! :lol:

Surely you're not suggesting that the fine members of this establishment would partake in either substance abuse and/or exotic pets. :shock:

IsK

i dont think any one bothers to smuggle boas in anymore.
more likely the harder to get asian and african herps (vipers cobras chameleons) are being bought in illegally on the cargo ships etc..

Damn theres been a few busts in G-town over the years, seems the place to go if you want exotics :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back