buying animals at an interstate expo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mamba24

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all,

forgive me if this topic has already been covered. but i was wondering if anybody (esp those with vic licenses so i can relate) has ever driven to an interstate expo and bought animals.

what was your experience with breeders and sellers accepting licenses from other states? and how did you go about getting the import permits sorted?

i'm planning on driving up to the wild expo in sydney in a month's time. would i then have to submit an import permit application to the dse and try and guess which animals i'm going to be purchasing? i read somewhere that some folk will hold on to the animals until you get back and get those permits sorted, and then they'll freight the animal/s. but i'd rather just bring the animals back with me on the road and save some dollars.

any help would be appreciated. still very much a novice at all this.

cheers.

i would say ring & ask your licence dep., i dont think you can get a import/export untill you know what animal you are buying because ive always had to put which species/age the animal is on the application that im importing.. it takes 2 weeks to get the papers back..

i think it might be different here in vic, cause i've never had to tell them the age when i've imported animals. species though, you're right. but that's why i was wondering you could perhaps 'guess' the species you were going to purchase, cause you can always send the report back saying "this consignment did not take place". but i don't know...

perhaps you're right, calling may be the best option.

cheers.

either way, if its a nsw expo, you will still need to wait for DECCW to give the export licence to the seller before they can give you the animal.
And that can take anywhere from 4days to 3 weeks.....

My last import licence application took 7 working days to get back to me...

that's fair enough. good point.

righto, might have to prolong my stay in nsw post-expo then, or pay for freight.

it would jac but my bro lives up there so staying longer is no issue. older siblings are handy that way...

just have someone back in Vic to send off the permit for you, if you decide what you want on the friday, you can have the permit organized by Monday and the animals can come back with you, thats my general plan(weather it works or not might be an entirely different thing), i might end up having to stay in a swag for a couple of extra nights.

i have spoken to dse cos i have a friend driving up as well this is what they said...step 1 get your import permit take it with you..also,this allows multiple animals...step 2-the "sellers" will have all their export paperwork ready at the show for people like yourself..purchase your snakes..swap details..step3-once you make the purchase. methods for getting it home is up to you.. hope this helps.

i have spoken to dse cos i have a friend driving up as well this is what they said...step 1 get your import permit take it with you..also,this allows multiple animals...step 2-the "sellers" will have all their export paperwork ready at the show for people like yourself..purchase your snakes..swap details..step3-once you make the purchase. methods for getting it home is up to you.. hope this helps.

This will only work if you purchase and organise paperwork with the seller before the expo.If not you will need to wait until the seller puts in his export application and waits until the DECC processes it which can take a week or so.

If you find an animal you like then buy it sort the paperwork then have the seller freight it once thats all sorted.

This will only work if you purchase and organise paperwork with the seller before the expo.If not you will need to wait until the seller puts in his export application and waits until the DECC processes it which can take a week or so.

If you find an animal you like then buy it sort the paperwork then have the seller freight it once thats all sorted.
Ahhhhh thankyou for clearing that up m8.

could be tricky trying to organise the purchase before the expo, since i probably won't know what i want until i'm there on friday. if i have to freight i might as well fly up and fly back. probably will work out the same when considering fuel costs, and it'l save us many hours on the road.

thanks guys, some useful stuff to ponder over...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but i recently imported a Darwin python from QLD and had a talk to DECC and they said they have a 24hr express form for import/export licences.

could be tricky trying to organise the purchase before the expo, since i probably won't know what i want until i'm there on friday. if i have to freight i might as well fly up and fly back. probably will work out the same when considering fuel costs, and it'l save us many hours on the road.

thanks guys, some useful stuff to ponder over...

Yeah kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it.
I would put an animal aside for an interstate purchaser and send once the paperwork was sorted.I'm sure others would as well.It is really the only way.

Depending on where you are, freight isn't really that expensive anyway. I had a woma sent up from Vic last year for $60 with AAE.

I guess it also depends on the animal, eg $60 freight for a $150 coastal or $90 gecko might seem steep, yet it's peanuts for a $500 woma or even more expensive animals.

But if you're getting the animal you want, then it shouldn't matter anyway so long as it arrives healthy & in good condition. Keep in mind a 1.5hr flight from Sydney to Melbourne would be less stressful than a 10hr drive.

Also consider there may be Vic breeders at the expo & you won't need paperwork anyway (apart from licencing) & could pick up the animal when you're back in Vic, so no freight costs.

Last edited:
Depending on where you are, freight isn't really that expensive anyway. I had a woma sent up from Vic last year for $60 with AAE.

I guess it also depends on the animal, eg $60 freight for a $150 coastal or $90 gecko might seem steep, yet it's peanuts for a $500 woma or even more expensive animals.

But if you're getting the animal you want, then it shouldn't matter anyway so long as it arrives healthy & in good condition. Keep in mind a 1.5hr flight from Sydney to Melbourne would be less stressful than a 10hr drive.

Also consider there may be Vic breeders at the expo & you won't need paperwork anyway (apart from licencing).

thanks sock puppet, that's some good insight. and you're right, as long as the animal is right then that's all that matters. still, would like my trip up and back (and freight) to extract as little money as possible. less money for all that lets me put more money into the animals. engrained in me is also my student-mentality to save money ;)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but i recently imported a Darwin python from QLD and had a talk to DECC and they said they have a 24hr express form for import/export licences.

Thats interesting, must be a new thing...I will have to look into that for future trades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back