Calling All Antaresia Perthensis (pygmy python) parents! Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tildy

So I am picking up my new Pygmy Python tomorrow and I think I have the basics covered but I'm finding it hard to get definate details on care. I have a few basic questions so that I can write out a care sheet for myself. (helps cause my memory is terrible). If they have already been answered elsewhere I apologise, I just cant find it. here goes.

*Temperature range? what is the best range to keep these guys at?
*Humidity? Obviously not as high as other species but is there levels that really bug them?
*If you want to keep the normal winter cycle of brumation how do you go about that? Do you have to increase feeding beforehand? How low should your drop the temp to at the lowest and over what period of time?
*Shedding? Any issues with this species or is it down to the particular snake? any specific needs to help them?
*Any particular health issues specific for this snake that I should look out for?

I think this is all for now but If I think of any more i'll add it to my care sheet. Do we have a section for care sheets on here cause if we do I'll put this one up when its done (or if there is one already up I'll go read it).

I figure I can get feeding details off the breeder for right now and just keep a diary to chart progress and learn more but I dont want to make any crucial fatal mistakes in the beginning or I wont learn anything and I'll just be sad.

Ohh and how much light so they need in a day? and does that differ from summer to winter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perthensis are no different to keeping other Anteresia except that they are smaller so generally need smaller food sizes particularly hatchlings. Assuming you are getting them locally just ask the breeder.

ill be quick but like wokka said its goood to ask the breeder so you can mimic what she was originally kept at.
in order around 30
room humidity is fine
dont cycle over their first year
shedding is fine.
no special health issues to look for just the normal
and lights just follow the sun or something like 12 on 12off doesnt matter too much unless your breeding.
good luck and ask the breeding 100's of questions ;D

Thanx guys, yeah, I think ill take a notebook when I pick it up tomorrow and pick the breeders brains. I think we should def have a separate section just for care sheets though to make it easier for people who cant pick the breeder's brains. Cause I know alot of people buy first and research later so a quick stop of "how not to kill your new acquisition" would be handy. They seem pretty cruisey from what I can gather so I think we will get used to each other quickly.

l have hatchies and adults here and my strongest advice is to give them heat 24/7.....32-23c as the hatchies seem to love the heat and trust me once they stop eating they can be a real pain but kept on heat they eat really well, there are many failures out there that aren't public knowledge and most of those imo are where they stopped eating and imo once again due to a lack of heat
solar 17 (Baden)

Thanx heaps for that advice Baden. I'll write that one down.

i know this is an old thread and i hope your little one is doing well.
my pygmy is 11mnths and doing really well. my tank is at 31-32C and despite the ongoing UV arguement id rather have one than not.
she is a picky eater though, hard to get her to eat reguarly but in my opinion shes a little chubby anyways :)
will only eat when hungry not on my preffered cycle.
she sheds like clockwork every month.
i hope your baby is as beautiful and good natured as mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back