Can female Southern Angle Headed Dragons lay eggs without males?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven_neves

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this sounds like a really dumb question to ask, but we just returned home this evening to find what appears to be a clutch of eggs in the enclosure for our Southern Angle Headed.

Strange thing is that we've had this little guy for almost 2 years from juvenile and he/she has not been in contact with any other other Southerns since (or any reptiles for that matter), since purchase.

Did a little googling just now and apparently females can hold sperm through the winter until the time is right, but this would have been 2 winters.

Not sure if anyone can assist with some insight?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, this sounds like a really dumb question to ask, but we just returned home this evening to find what appears to be a clutch of eggs in the enclosure for our Southern Angle Headed.

Strange thing is that we've had this little guy for almost 2 years from juvenile and he/she has not been in contact with any other other Southerns since (or any reptiles for that matter), since purchase.

Did a little googling just now and apparently females can hold sperm through the winter until the time is right, but this would have been 2 winters.

Not sure if anyone can assist with some insight?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, females will become gravid on a regular basis without ever being with a male, obviously the eggs will be infertile (that has nothing to do with holding sperm from a previous mating which of course they can do). You should always provide a nesting area because it can happen at anytime.

That makes complete sense and I feel like a dope now. Thank you murrindindi
[doublepost=1577581028,1576892684][/doublepost]OK, I have a secondary question to this.

We removed the eggs, but she appears to have become extremely aggressive and/or protective. When the eggs were present I assumed this was a mumma-bear protection thing, but they've been gone over a week now and she is still exhibiting these aggressive behaviours.

Previously a really great handler, can I assume she'll go back to normal in time?

Latest posts

Back