Can I put red sand from bunnings in my bearded dragons tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbinoSwissSnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I’ve got my bearded dragon on mulch right now, but I wanted to do a desert theme in his enclosure and wanted peoples opinions on keeping sand in their enclosures. He is 2 and a half, loves dig around.

most of us use washed play sand from bunnings, it's about $7 for 20 kg compared to $20 for 5kg of red sand at the petshop. You also have to be careful which red sand you buy, some are only dyed red so that stains the dragons skin. There is also a very fine type that turns hard when it gets wet so you don't want them to swallow it

what i think you should do is just make sure its not dyed (which dragonlover1 already stated) you should also make sure that theres no fertilizer in it other wise it may poison youre dragon.

i hope my advice can be usefull

You definitely don’t want the one that looks like it has gravel in it, that ** gets hard as stone when it gets wet and will lead to your dragon impaction

what i think you should do is just make sure its not dyed (which dragonlover1 already stated) you should also make sure that theres no fertilizer in it other wise it may poison youre dragon.

i hope my advice can be usefull
the problem is they don't say it's dyed. They just call it desert sand and it is NOT desert sand. As far as I know there is only 1 mob that actually goes out and collects genuine red desert sand

Ok so I’ve bought the sand (the right sand) but how do I dry it? What have you guys found works?

Ok cool thankyou

ok, so I’ve put sand in his enclosure. And right away he started eating it like it was the tastiest thing ever.

Latest posts

Back