Can Snakes Get Constipated?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just a few more questions about Monty, our Brissie Coastal. Don't want to hijack Ouzo's thread about Nymph. Dave got him out this morning to check him out again. He reckons that he seems bloated, and looks to be straining a lot, so is still stiff as a board. His Hemipenes are out still(those are the little pink bits I take it?) So could he be Constipated? What is the best way to help him besides taking him to the vet tomorrow? Poor guy, I think he is suffering. Cheers Cheryl

Give him a luke warn bath, and take him to the vet tomorrow if it does no good.If it is constipated it can be given vegtable oil, but if it is bloated it may need antibiotics or even an operation.

Hi Cheryl,
If you're going to use oil, paraffin oil is generally best, as its inorganic and will "go right through him". Organic oils may work also, but have more chance of getting absorbed into the system.
Matt
http://www.users.on.net/~jbonnett/

Ok thanks Matt, I didn't do the bath thing last night, was a tad late, and as I said I wasn't sure bout the Olive Oil. I'll just dash into town now and grab some paraffin oil. Can anybody give me some instructions on how to do this please(how to get it down his neck that is). Dave is away working at Bordertown at the moment. Would it be best if I got the guy across the road to help hold him? Should I get it down his neck with a dropper? How much should I use please. Cheers Cheryl PS how hard is it to open their mouth. He is about 5 1/2 ft long.

I got some paraffin oil from the guy across the road. Says to use 10 to 30ml for an adult human with constipation. How much should I use for a 1 1/2 kg snake please?

Go with the warm bath first Chezza, if it works it a lot less stressful for both you and the snake. Can't help you on the dose for the oil as I have never used it but if it's just a late crap and truly constipation the warm bath should work. Just the sound of the running water worked for one of mine and it crapped all over the kitchen floor :) It's OK though, the missus is talking to me again now :)

Paraffin Oil is the traditional approach. It can be injected into prey items which is less stress all around.

One of my guys was constipated but I did not know that that was the problem. I treated it for worms with Panacur 25 injected into the throat (with a ball tipped syringe). She then proceeded to pass some weird looking $hit and get on with her life happily eating and defecating asregular as clock work.

Ok thanks for that herptrader. Did your snake have any sort of symptoms at all? Monty actually had a huge $hit after eating the first two little pigeons. Now he just kills them by constricting, but doesn't eat them. Cheers Cheryl

rodentrancher said:
Ok thanks for that herptrader. Did your snake have any sort of symptoms at all? Monty actually had a huge $hit after eating the first two little pigeons. Now he just kills them by constricting, but doesn't eat them. Cheers Cheryl

Woudn't eat and wouldn't take dump. It was soon after I got her.

rodentrancher said:
No sort of straining movements??

Nope... it was more like "nothing is coming out so I am not putting anything more in" (ie: food)

When she did poop it was easily recognisable as ex-rodent and had not been well digested. Considering it had been in her for over 9 months I found this quite amazing. It was as if it had been preserved, not just passed through a digestive system.

Did the paraffin oil thingo, warm bath and massage. Nothing inside to come out of poor Monty. I nearly broke down last night. Didn't show my emotions too much to Dave when he arrived back from Bordertown. I was pretty upset about poor Monty's suffering. Not a good night at all last night. He more or less falls down from his basking spot up on the wall. Can't climb at all. Just writhes around on the floor. We haven't got much money at the moment. Grrr!!! I think that I want to get Monty euthanased rather than see him suffer. Ok, now all have a go at me!!! Go for it! I'm just too sad, I've got very attached to the poor little guy! He's such a nice Coastal. Lordy I hate this!!! :cry: Now he's down on the floor again tonight. No curves in his poor body. All at right angles! :cry:

Does not sounc like monty is just constipated.

Probably time for a trip to the vet.

Herp trader could you give me any info on the dosage of panacur or ivomectin. Any idea of where to get a small ball shaped syringe. Thanks for any info. Dave

Dosing needles (ball tipped syringes) are on the Herpetologcal Equipment page at the Herp Shop site (http://www.herpshop.com.au).

If you care to give Brian a call at the Herp Shop he may be able to direct you to about Panacure.

Davem54 said:
Herp trader could you give me any info on the dosage of panacur or ivomectin. Any idea of where to get a small ball shaped syringe. Thanks for any info. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back