Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is where we should be able to get a license to collect a couple of pairs from the wild to start a captive breeding program for the hobby. I'm not sure which ones but some of the dragons have very short lifespans as well.

I think this is where we should be able to get a license to collect a couple of pairs from the wild to start a captive breeding program for the hobby. I'm not sure which ones but some of the dragons have very short lifespans as well.

Collecting Chelosania brunnea from the wild is still good luck finding one. But there are some in captivity Gavin has at least one in Croc Cove, they are just not likely to enter the hobby. Tawny Crevices I believe are in captivity somewhere in small numbers, all the Eulamprus are relatively common in the wild, which is doule edged as it is not so hard to justify taking some but harder to justify a reason to do so.

The Tympanocryptis there is probably already being captively bred as it is not as common as some of the other listed.

From that list, the following are in the pet trade -

- Eulamprus martini
- Eulamprus tenuis
- Ctenophorus decresii
- Ctenophorus cristatus

I'd be surprised if Eulamprus heatwolei wasn't in captivity, as well as Diporiphora superba.

Can't help you with the skink species, talk to Danny Brown or Mick Mather about those.

Of the dragons, only 2 species are currently held in private collections that I am aware of C. cristatus and C. decressi. These are the only ones on most States species lists.

The remaining species are held in captivity but not privately. I have been trying to get all four species. The hardest one of the lot seems to be C. brunnea. These appear to be difficult to find even in the wild. Although they have been held and bred successfully by the TWF over the years. I saw one at Taronga zoo three or four years ago and I would hazard a guess that the animal at Taronga Zoo that I saw came from TWF. Crocosaurus Cove had them only display until recently also.

D. superba are also difficult to come across because of their WA distribution. I have only ever heard of one private keeper of this species and that was 10 plus years ago.

Ctenophorus clayii were in private hands only 3-4 years ago but the guy that had them on a collect permit moved them on because he only had 3 males. This species may be still in private hands but it is unlikely.

I believe that Melbourne zoo has a breeding colony of Tympanocryptis pinguicolla. I have also heard some suggestions that the ACT authority controlling wildlife licensing is considering establishing a captive breeding program for this species. It is quite vulnerable to grass fires around the ACT and has a very limited range. There was some discussion that the authority would involve highly experienced private breeders as well as government facilities.

These guys are fairly easy to come across.
Eulamprus martini
- Eulamprus tenuis
- Ctenophorus decresii
- Ctenophorus cristatus
Especially the Eulamprus species.

I agree

These guys are fairly easy to come across.
Eulamprus martini
- Eulamprus tenuis
- Ctenophorus decresii
- Ctenophorus cristatus
Especially the Eulamprus species.

so all of these can be legally keeped?
I have a friend that wants dark bar-sided skinks but was told you couldn't keep them?

Last edited:
I don't see why not, if they on license then yes, and being in QLD there's no other reason you can't.

thats what I thought but I can't find breeder
do you know of one?

Nopeee haha, search around there's a few small skink breeder out there.
Small skinks are snake and lizard food to me so I don't really know anyone with them.

just found out that geckodan has bar sided skinks but does not say what ones :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back