can you own thorny devils as a pet reptile??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python757

Reaction score
i would just like to hear some peoples thoughts on whether or not it is legal to own a thorny devil.. .. i have always had a craze for these gorgeous reptiles.. .. just thought id get some opinions.. ..

regards
python757

you would be crazy to keep them!!! and i think you need an exhibitors permit here in qld anyway

i think they are and they only eat black ants and will eat like 1000 in 1 sitting and they are not on the nsw list

If your in a state were they can be kept and you can keep food up to them i guess it's possible

I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal but they're expensive and damn hard to feed, seeing as they only eat ants

they are on rec licence in qld but cost $4000-$6000 and require 1000-2000 black ants per day

spot on hornet, nothing else to really say there

its not only one species, they feed primarily on small black ants in the genus iridiomyrmex but will eat many types as long as the are small, dark colored and walk along trials. Taken from reptiles australia, vol 2 issue 5

also, i have been thinking, i have read in that same article that they have fed on other prey items (termites, small roaches, mealies and crix) but all died, longest survivour lasted 1 year. The ants they feed on have formic acid in them which gives them that horrible smell when crushed or annoyed. I was wondering if that is the chemical that they need to live and if it would be possible to get a supplement and be able to keep them alive on other food items?

Could be an essential amino-acid or something they get from the ants? The best supplement to give them is 1000-2000 black ants a day! Hahahaa

yeah your best bets to read the rep aus mag it has everything you need to no on husbendry

untill more research is done we wont know if its the formic acid acid or something else but they only eat ants that contain formic acid

i would love to own some one day, my passion in herps is small desert dwelling dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back