Cane toad virus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, hopefully it will work and get rid of toads forever.

I go up to Port Douglas at least twice a year, have mates up there.
Last year we spent 10 days camping up at Lakefield Cape York. Ive never seen so many cane toads in my live. Around the back waters there were baby toads (20 cent piece size) by the 1000s. Of a night you would walk down the track and you could hear the adults jumping along behind you. After 50 meters or so id turn around and in the torch light, there would be a toad conga line behind me, up to a dozen at a time. They have no fear of predation, and will just follow you around at night.
They dont belong in Australia and should be wiped out, along with Carp.
With any luck, I hope this virus works.

"They are expecting to have results by the end of the year."

So, does anyone know what happened with this?

the government fom Venezuela vitoed the australian government and stopped the csiro from releasing the virus due to the implications it may have on all of the bufo sp.ssp some of which are on the endangered species list.
pretty crap that we have it at our disposal and cant use it .
apparently the virus was extremely effective.

So thats it then? Some people somewhere else decided that we can't defend our wildlife and that puts an end to possibly our only way of killing these bloody things? ( i actually like cane toads, just not here)

a virus is realisticly the only way to kill any substantial number of toads........... and even then i think that they will eventually devolop an immunity to the virus

the toads are going to make theyre way around australia and we stand to lose alot of native animals because of it they have already hit the kimberlys for all we know they will wipe out RSP from the wild and who knows what they will do when they hit the pilbara

Well that bites, we stand to lose everything that looks apon frogs as food. How many snakes, monitors and crocs, as well as fish and birds are going to get wiped out?...

Last edited:
I go up to Port Douglas at least twice a year, have mates up there.
Last year we spent 10 days camping up at Lakefield Cape York. Ive never seen so many cane toads in my live. Around the back waters there were baby toads (20 cent piece size) by the 1000s. Of a night you would walk down the track and you could hear the adults jumping along behind you. After 50 meters or so id turn around and in the torch light, there would be a toad conga line behind me, up to a dozen at a time. They have no fear of predation, and will just follow you around at night.
They dont belong in Australia and should be wiped out, along with Carp.
With any luck, I hope this virus works.

Carp are good Fun on light line!

Sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, hopefully it will work and get rid of toads forever.

Cane Toads were suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread too, until the twits realised that the toad wasn't doing what they though it would.

Do we in this country, have the right to engineer ' viruses' to control our pest species?
I f so, how are we going to contain said virus and stop it spreading over sea's to where our 'pests' are native animals, and thus in danger of our engineered virus?

the government fom Venezuela vitoed the australian government and stopped the csiro from releasing the virus due to the implications it may have on all of the bufo sp.ssp some of which are on the endangered species list.
pretty crap that we have it at our disposal and cant use it .
apparently the virus was extremely effective.

so your saying because there are endangered Bufo sp over seas we cant use the virus here?

Do we in this country, have the right to engineer ' viruses' to control our pest species?
I f so, how are we going to contain said virus and stop it spreading over sea's to where our 'pests' are native animals, and thus in danger of our engineered virus?

SHHHHH!:lol::lol::lol:

Carp have done as much, if not more damage to the environment than the Cain Toad has. The only thing they are good for is to give to your mothering law for a feed lol. I dont have a mothering law, so carp are good for nothing.
Fun to catch you say, you have to get up north on the Barra.

Carp have done as much, if not more damage to the environment than the Cain Toad has. The only thing they are good for is to give to your mothering law for a feed lol. I dont have a mothering law, so carp are good for nothing.
Fun to catch you say, you have to get up north on the Barra.

Yeah i really do....but a carp will bite bread within a few seconds of it touching the surface of the water....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back