Car Sterio Help!.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SyKeD

Reaction score
Hey All, chucking this one out there to see if any one could be of any help!!!

I'd love some help/advice!.. I'm driving a 1995 Vs Commodore Executive :) and im a beginner at installing audio stuff but love music and speakers!. Sorry to beat around the bush, just trying to make it as clear as possible!

Head Unit

Pioneer DEH-P4950MP < but the 2006 model i think

Subs:
x1 Sony Xplode 1300 12inch, x2 12inch Dual Cone Orion's, x1 Rockford Fosgate P2 12inch

Amps:

JBL 460watt Mono Block, JBL 320watt 4channel, Axis 500watt 5 Channel, American Boss 2000watt 4 channel, Sony Xplode 350watt 2 channel

Speakers:

Pioneer 300watt 6x9 2way, Clarion 200watt 6inch splits

Whats In The Car Now:

The Head Unit,6x9's,Monoblock,Sony Xplode 12 inch ( Self Installed took a couple of days rofl trying to self teach but in the end got there. )

1.How to put the clarions in the front door and best place to put the tweeter.
( I tried taking the door apart but kept hearing noises that i didnt like so i stopped... Is there A Tutorial On It? )

2. What Amp should i run the speakers on?.

3.Running 2 subs. would i need a capacitor/another battery?.

4.Best wiring??. As my RCA's are rooted, i will have to re-wire it all again.

5.Neat Boot install?. Best Way to go about it ?. (Pictures Would be awesome)

6.Would I Be Best Of Just Getting It All Professionally Installed?

If i've forgotten anything could you please add!,

Any sort of help will be much appreciated!.

Cheers,

CJ

P.S Please dont leave stupid re-marks or anything like that!, Just looking for HELP and ADVICE

unless ur loaded dont bother getting professional install ....
for ur normal speaker ur best off using a 4 channel amp... and the monoblock for the subs.... with two subs you shouldnt need any extra batteries / capacitors but im not 100%sure on that....

they easiest way to make subs look clean is to buy a pre-made box.....

the way that looks the cleanest in my opinion is a fibreglass panel with them mounted in it.... its hard to explain but bascially you seal off the rear section of the boot with the fibreglass panel and then cut holes and mount the subs in it..

ok, best wiring, get heavy duty amp wiring kit from strathfield car radios.
run the front speakers off the deck and the rear and subs off the amp/s
shouldnt need a battery, make sure u put the fuse in properly but.
4chnl amp, 800 watt. if u can afford it use 2 amps
to be honest u dont need 2 subs, ones enough, u just have to 'tweek' it.

Have u ever run wires from battery to amp before?
put a hole in the rubbers that have the wiring running behind the glovebox, big enought to fit the cable thru.
run them under the carpets, u can unscrew the trim to lift it up.
pull up the back seat and run up under beside it.
We always screw the amps onto the back seat, that way the wiring just runs out from under the seat and straight into the amp.

if your boot vibrates you have to pack it, which basically means sealing up all the holes in the top with tape, then spraying no more gaps into them.

put the splits in the front doors (probably need spacers, and im not sure if they will go in) 6x9's in the rear.
Tweeters usually go either higher up in the trim, or a friend of mine puts them in or next to the air con vents, im not sure what the doors on your car are like though.
U can get fibreglass spacers that make the speakers face inwards, that always looks better IMO.

ps) sony xplode subs are crap and try to use a sub with an aluminium cone ;)
If you havent already got the speakers, get 3 or 4 way 6x9's
imo, schnider amps and subs all the way

Last edited:
Hey mate what sort of budget do you have for everything? I'd stay away from Sony they make good tv's but crap car audio gear.If you want sub's there is no point having 6x9's in the back. I'd go 6-6.5 inch in the front doors running off a 400wrms 2 channel amp either 1-2 subs which ever suits your budget running of at least 1000wrms momo amp.I'd stay away from places like strathfield and head to a place like Doran pro audio in Bankstown.

As for good brands... Digital Designs, Boston, Infinity,Image Dynamics, Stinger for Cable and Dynamat for sound deaden.

Strathfield have heavy duty amp wiring kits for $50 last time i checked, although that could have been mates rates and he just didnt tell me!
As for everything else, go into a local car audio dealer, usually discounts if u buy alot and be persuasive ;)

I was under the assumption that you already had the subs and speakers.

At the end of the day, if you dont want to stuff around and pull you car apart, or your worried u might stuff it up and blow subs, amps etc, id get a quote on a professional install, even if its only for the amp and sub

i've got it all.. just a matter of what i should put in the car.... Xplode 12inch and Xplode amp was just a little starter..

Fuegan13 - yeah im not loaded :(... i cant really see 460watt 2 channel monoblock running a 1300watt and a 1000watt sub. i'd be using the Boss amp 2000watt 4channel for the 2 subs,i'll have to look into see weither i need a capacitor/battery.... the subs are already in a box except for the 2x Orion's i know what ur talking about with the custom boxes to fit the boot of your car. might have to look into it. how much you reackon to make a VERY SIMPLE custom box.

becswillbe -
Yes, Wires are running from the battery... under the big fuse box thing under the steering well.. into the where the head unit sits. down under the handbrake through the middle. up under the seat and out out where that bit is u can pull down in the middle seat so you can see into the boot....

Packing your boot. when you open it.. will it look ugly ? lol. i think the splits will just fit in.

I've had the Sony Xplode sub for about 2 years, never skipped a beat or anything (touch wood haha).

_Jas_ - Budget...well its tight sorta, about $400.. yeah i dont really like the 6x9's in the back because they distort abit with bass if the music is phased towards the back, and the sub seems to go quieter as well.. well i'll go have a look into Jaycar today and look for some splits for the back.

Becswillbe - Well i'll be doing some haggling over the next few days ring up different places and get it for lot cheaper ;)... and yes i do have everything that is listed up top.

If you want sub's there is no point having 6x9's in the back.

G'day Jas, sorry to hijack the thread but just wondering why 6by9's at the rear is a bad idea if u want subs? I've got 6by9's in the rear of my car and intend to one day add an amp and sub, I was under the impression that would be fine. Have I been lied to?

packing your boot, it wont look ugly, basically all your doing is filling in any gaps to make it solid, .then smoothing it off.
I mean in the door of the boot..
Id put one way screws into you numberplate aswell, and do them up tight ;)

Just some advice, you dont have to take it.........
2 subs is overkill, you really dont need 2.

Also, you have to remember the more basey it is, the more it vibrates your car.
The more your car vibrates, the more the nuts, screws etc become loose.

Too much vibration from base can also eventually bend and damage your guards
Unless your going to re-inforce your whole boot, it can eventually cause damage.

Last edited:
i've got it all.. just a matter of what i should put in the car.... Xplode 12inch and Xplode amp was just a little starter..

Fuegan13 - yeah im not loaded :(... i cant really see 460watt 2 channel monoblock running a 1300watt and a 1000watt sub. i'd be using the Boss amp 2000watt 4channel for the 2 subs,i'll have to look into see weither i need a capacitor/battery.... the subs are already in a box except for the 2x Orion's i know what ur talking about with the custom boxes to fit the boot of your car. might have to look into it. how much you reackon to make a VERY SIMPLE custom box.

becswillbe -
Yes, Wires are running from the battery... under the big fuse box thing under the steering well.. into the where the head unit sits. down under the handbrake through the middle. up under the seat and out out where that bit is u can pull down in the middle seat so you can see into the boot....

Packing your boot. when you open it.. will it look ugly ? lol. i think the splits will just fit in.

I've had the Sony Xplode sub for about 2 years, never skipped a beat or anything (touch wood haha).

_Jas_ - Budget...well its tight sorta, about $400.. yeah i dont really like the 6x9's in the back because they distort abit with bass if the music is phased towards the back, and the sub seems to go quieter as well.. well i'll go have a look into Jaycar today and look for some splits for the back.

Becswillbe - Well i'll be doing some haggling over the next few days ring up different places and get it for lot cheaper ;)... and yes i do have everything that is listed up top.

lol my bad i didnt actually read wattages of all ur gear..... ur right no way that woud run that... haha need to read ur post better...

as for the custom box man im not really sure on price coz im yet to get mine done and i wont be paying retail when i get it done..... and coz i drive an r34 ill be taking my backseat out and facing the subs into the cabin so my set up will be a bit different....

if u wanna go the fibreglass route you best bet would be to talk to some local panel beaters and just describe what u want coz they are usually pretty handy with the fibreglass

alternativly just goto like bunnings or something and get some wood cut which is usually fairly cheap and just screw a box togther yourself and get it either fibreglassed over (reason why im going nuts over the fibreglass is you can paint it same colour as your car) or just carpet it....

and then u just have to think about whether u want a ported or unported box.... but i wont go into that because honestly i dont have a huge understanding of it...

If you want sub's there is no point having 6x9's in the back.

G'day Jas, sorry to hijack the thread but just wondering why 6by9's at the rear is a bad idea if u want subs? I've got 6by9's in the rear of my car and intend to one day add an amp and sub, I was under the impression that would be fine. Have I been lied to?

Basically, on your deck you adjust the amount of music running into your front and rear inputs. So if you want it clearer, you run it more into the fromt, if you want it more basey u run it more to the rear.
The more you run to the rear, the more 6x9's distort due to the bass in them.

Another alternative is to set up the 6x9's in your rear doors, put an amp under the front seat, and run them along the same lines as your front speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back