Carpet ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tasdevil

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering are those Mt isa / dajarra carpets is just a different locality of the Murray Darling Carpet Python ?

Last edited:
I was just wondering are those Mt isa / dajarra carpets is just a different locality of the Murray Darling Carpet Python ?

I believe they are, but they do not grow to the size of MD's.

We looked at getting one once, but decided we liked the bigger snake and pursued a MD. At the time I was told they were a locale of MD that grow smaller, and have a bit more red rusty fleck in their pattern.

I believe they would be a great snake for somebody who wanted a Morelia but did not want something much bigger than an Antaresia.

Would be interested to hear from people who have one and get some hands on opinions from an owner.

Hi there we have 2 there are pics of them on my home page under Ruby and Cyrus, they are both beautiful little snakes I am very happy we got them, and yes they are a smaller growing type of MD, our little girl Ruby has a beautiful temperment and her red colouring is starting to come through. Cyrus is a little fiester but will settle with time and handling his colours are also starting to come through atm they are only six and half months old i can't wait to see what they are like when they grow.
I would recommend these awesome little snakes to anyone. If anyone is interested in them look up Kel Worley.

Hi there we have 2 there are pics of them on my home page under Ruby and Cyrus, they are both beautiful little snakes I am very happy we got them, and yes they are a smaller growing type of MD, our little girl Ruby has a beautiful temperment and her red colouring is starting to come through. Cyrus is a little fiester but will settle with time and handling his colours are also starting to come through atm they are only six and half months old i can't wait to see what they are like when they grow.
I would recommend these awesome little snakes to anyone. If anyone is interested in them look up Kel Worley.

Thats great!

Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback. Often with obscure locality animals it can be hard to get some feedback on them. We were really drawn by their colourings but ultimately decided that a larger species was more to our taste given that we already had smaller species.

The only down side I see (and not really an issue if you have the space and only for NSW owners) is that they are still classified as a MD or Inland Python for licensing purposes so will still require a minimum enclosure size of the larger MD when they rarely grow larger than 1.3 metres.

In my (limited) opinion they really should be a Class C python like the Jungle for the purposes of enclosure size in the NSW Regs, but understand that because it is a locale of its species it would be difficult to regulate.

Glad you love yours - they sound like a great snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back