Carpet sizing for age?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizard_Lilith

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping someone with more experience can help me here

Recently bought a carpet python from a lady in a different state, very pleasant transaction, lovely to deal with.
However I'm just a bit worried about the new noodle. He's supposed to be a yearling, and when he arrived by plane last weekend I was really surprised. Honestly, I expected him to be the same size or larger than my yearling Darwin carpet (you know, the smallest version). I also have a 4 month old Darwin, and honestly, he's a bit bigger than the new addition. The seller says that although he's a good eater, he's just never grown much to date but if I power feed him he should grow like a weed.
This is only my third snake and my first non-Darwin, so it isn't that I'm knocking the seller, I just don't know if this is normal or if I should be worried about him? Haven't tried feeding him yet as obviously the first week (no-touch, no feed, let settle in) isn't up, but he's so little.

Very grateful for any advice more experienced caretakers can provide. TIA

JP was the size of a shoe lace with a temper as big as Antarctica when when i got him. He was fine after a bit of handling, and although he refused food, i eventually got him to eat by bagging him with his mouse the first few times.

I wouldn't worry, and if your guy doesn't take a feed then maybe look up the bagging method?

JP was the size of a shoe lace with a temper as big as Antarctica when when i got him. He was fine after a bit of handling, and although he refused food, i eventually got him to eat by bagging him with his mouse the first few times.

I wouldn't worry, and if your guy doesn't take a feed then maybe look up the bagging method?
Thankyou for your reply and advice. I did feed him (slightly early) last night and he just about bolted it down. I also got a better look at him and had a friend holding my 4mo Darwin nearby for a quick size comparison - they're pretty much the same size. Thankfully he doesn't seem to have any feeding issues at least! He also seems quite curious about me, especially when I was trying to take a picture of him, so hopefully this bodes well for handling too.

Latest posts

Back