central netted pricing.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
is it just me or is the price range of central netted dragons rediculous.

for a dragon who has a very short life span, and simple up keep. wouldnt you think they would be a little cheaper then $100-150.

they are cute and all, but.. $100 ???? they live like 3 yrs dont they?

$40-50 ea. for hatchlings would be more appropriate IMO. $100 at a year of age perhaps?

if they were that cheap i'd buy them now, unfortunately i think that an animal that 'common' and easy to keep shouldn't cost that much.

i realise that a few years ago they were around $150+..

Yea they are overpriced for a dragon that doesnt live for a long time and are easy to keep in captivity.

In captivity they live more like 6-8 years. Unlike beardies the lay relatively few eggs max 8 in a clutch and general only lay one or two clutches per season. The young need to be kept separately to prevent tail and toe nibble.
Like anything the price reflects market pressure. If there were more the price would drop unless demand matches availability.

interesting, thanks for that spongebob.

from what ive seen the young are together. although like anything probably better alone.

do they do better together or separated when adult? in all honesty. there cute, but perhaps ill wait till the price drops. .. pitty.

When you breed them then you can choose whatever price you want to sell them at. But for now if you dont like the price dont buy them. Simple.

When you breed them then you can choose whatever price you want to sell them at. But for now if you dont like the price dont buy them. Simple.

;) hence why im not buying.

Our females lay 4 to 6 eggs per clutch and usally 3 clutches per season
and demand outstrips supply hence the price!

It's only for the first few weeks that have tendency to nibble. Mine are all in together as adults,but only one male. I've heard the age thing is a bit of a myth based on some erroneous research. Hatchies are around $80, up to around $160 for adults (give or take a few bucks).

thanks,

its a well spread myth at that. there is a few long term keepers that gloat the short life span..

thanks for the posts.

I think $100 is nothing for them and I don't breed them, at least if people spend the money they are often more inclined to look after them.

When I kept them a few years back I used to get anything from $300 to $400 a pair. Unfortunately someone decided to rape and pilage the countryside of every known central netted, flooded the market with them and crashed the prices down to as little as $40 each depending on how many you wanted simply because supply exceeded demand. Now that there are little of them around and demand is growing for them again, the price, accordingly, is going up. Like anything, it is all to do with supply and demand and nothing to do with the longevity of the animal. They will breed in 12 months and produce a couple of clutches each year if kept in the right conditions and fed enough. Most people make the error of keeping them like most dragons when they should be kept more like monitors. They love the heat.

Cheers
Daz

Reproduction
Females are known to lay 2-3 clutches of 2-6 eggs during spring and summer, however females in my care under optimal conditions have laid 6-7 clutches in a season from August through to March with 3-4 clutches being fertile.

Life Span
While it is hard to estimate the life expectancy of most wild reptiles, the general consensus is that the Central Netted Dragon is relatively short lived. Captive lizards are expected to live around 6-7 years however there are reports of some living over 9 years of age (which I'm under the impression is still alive at Taronga Zoo having hatched there nine years ago). Individuals in the wild are subject to predators, disease and lack of food and water and therefore generally survive only 2-3 years.

More Info
All this info is taken directly from my website, if you are interested in them I suggest checking it out to learn more about them. They are a wonderful, energetic lizard and very engaging. Price is based on demand - and yes that will reduce as more breeders sell them, however I have to agree with JasonL and why should a lizard, simply because it seems small, short lived and easy to keep should it be less valuable to the owner - the COST of the animal should NEVER reflect it's worthiness - or lack their of - depending on the owner.

It's like iguanas costing US$10 at any pet store in the US and that being related to their 'worth' and so they don't get proper vet care because it costs more than the animal itself - in other words 'disposable'.

yeah a little lizard that costs way too much, just like those varanus brevicauda, hey kirby. maybe i should just buy a lacy than i get my monies worth for size.
simple if you dont like the cost ......dont buy it, whining isnt gunna help, the cost any

yeah a little lizard that costs way too much, just like those varanus brevicauda, hey kirby. maybe i should just buy a lacy than i get my monies worth for size.
simple if you dont like the cost ......dont buy it, whining isnt gunna help, the cost any

i dont see why people cnt understand, im not buying, nor whining..

i just couldnt see why they would cost so much. its perfectly fine to have 10 pages of whinging hopefuls complaining about GTP's.. *rolls eyes*

THANK YOU hugsta and shannon.

interesting, thanks for that spongebob.

from what ive seen the young are together. although like anything probably better alone.

do they do better together or separated when adult? in all honesty. there cute, but perhaps ill wait till the price drops. .. pitty.
their pretty quiet really i have kept adults with young beardies of similar size with no problems. and as for price $100 -200 is nothing for a reptile in my opinion. i know i would pay up to $1500 for certain small lizards and geckos. i paid $190 for my netteds and regret it only because i wish i had found better specimens .

Last edited:
I have just hatched two, I will be asking $100.00 each for them.
We have sold them ten times over.
Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back