check up on cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

insectovor

Reaction score
I have been rather impressed with all the feedback about the cane toads.
Just for the interested......I've checked the cane toads and they are dead.
If it is humane or not, the reality is that the population has decreased with 55 and future breeding of these individuals has been eliminated. No matter what everyone thinks, I'm very happy about this effort.
Maybe I should start a business in collecting Cane toads, eventually they'll be gone.........

wd insect!!!!! when they make it up here I intend to killl as many as I can even if a whole nights huntiing saves one native animals life

Fuscus l am aware that the cane toad topic is heated, but l believe people should talk about it so that they are infomed on the topic. I bet a lot of people arnt aware that the toads have made it into Arnhem Land and Kakadu and was reported to have hitched a ride on a truck all the way to Kalbarri in Wa. The toads are wiping out many many snakes and monitors at huge numbers, Brodie is right, wipe them out before the natives are gone and its to late.

Rlowley,
While I agree with you that the outcome of this introduced species should be discussed in order to educate the community.I disagree that we should continue at this point.I think an article written by somebody who is aware of the issues and submitted to APS would be much more suited at this time rather than an open thread for all to debate and argue over heatedly.The issue that is plagueing the posts at the moment is not actually "whether to cull the species or not",but rather how the acts of euthanisation are being performed,either humanely or cruelly.Also that the members are expressing admiration and shere joy out of culling them.
I think all Wattso meant in he's comments were that "yes we must kill them" but do we have to brag & boast with a smile of glee and a shine in our eye? Shouldn't we (as keepers of protected animals for the reason of conservation) be more understanding of the situation,and express some sort of remorse or sad being for killing any animal whether it be right or wrong?

I think that is merely all that has tryed to be said.We really should move onto new topics or discuss this one with an optimistic view and agree that humans in general DO HAVE differing opinions.

Merry xmas from the peace-maker lol...

Amen. Very proud of you mystic! merry xmas mate.
I did wonder weather perhaps science could find another use for them? for e.g. maybe their poisonous secretions could be harvested for some use that might benifit us? perhaps to be used as active ingredient in bait for foxes rabbits etc? mayhaps the poison may have hereto unknown other properties. If such other use could be found, a mass commercial harvesting of the species would probly very soon eradicate them. history has shown us mass commercial harvesting of any species very soon puts a very big dent in populations. just a thought, does anyone know of any such research? :?:

Finding a scientific use for cane toads Brodes. like if something in them proved to be effective in treating a human disease for example. then the demand for them would very quickly outstrip supplie here in australia and effectivly eradicate them, and find a good use for them in the bargain. Haiwai would be glad to offload there populations too. :D

Wattso you have been crapping on about cruelty to the poor toads and other pest animals for your last 10+ posts and now you are just stating to kill them for poisonous baiting of foxes? How is this not "cruel" according to your own interpretation of the meaning.
I cant see the point you are trying to make?

(Edited by Admin)

Are you actually serious?

In Hawaii the cane toads did the exact job they were supposed to. Thats why they were brought to Australia because we had cane beetles too. Unfortunately the cane beetles in Australia are a completely different species and are not actually eaten by cane toads in most of their life phases.

Wattso maybe you should think a bit before you post as you have obviously got no idea what you are actually talking about. This is not a personal attack but a statement of fact.

(Edited by Admin)

Cheers Hawkeye

I cant for the life of me find where Wattso once said we shouldn't kill plagued animals.All I can see is he's complaint about the proceedures used in doing so being "inhumane actions".

Furthermore,I am pretty sure that I already explained this in my last post even.

Anyway regardless of what the critics say (and whether they like to admit it or not,they are attacking because they have a problem with you personally) I agree that if there was a market for cane toad toxin,then there would be mass production of that toxin meaning mass eradication of that species.
(crystal clear to me.I understand that theory perfectly)

Its just a shame so many others cant actually comprehend simple sentences and place the information together using common sense to understand exactly what is being proposed...

:D Pinkie, dont they bait foxes with 10:80 anyway?
:D Hawkeye my friend, cane toads are never the less still pest in haiwai since they prey on native species there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back