Children’s python not using her hide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVi41

Reaction score
7/08/2022 -
I got a childrens python yesterday (under 1 yr old). After I set her enclosure up she seemed curious and would go the little hutches I set up in the case (there’s two) but I did have to move a hutch twice at different points to get to her/ check the temperature and now today she hasn’t used the hidey-hole hutches at all. I’ve been checking the temp with infrared gun and it’s about 30-32 right in the deep part of the hides and 23-28 around the rest of the heated section but I am getting readings around 14-19 in the coldest side as am having hard time getting room temperature up. I only have a 25x45x15cm case as she is still small and have a head pad under that covers about a third of the space. She’s not actively slithering about all day just spent the day moving around a little and then largely still curled inbetween the back of the domed-hide and the back wall of her case (on the heated side). Should I be worried she isn’t using the hides? I did have her out with me for a couple hours this morning but for the Children’s python not using her hidemajority of that time she was curled up under my hand on the bed
(The above was written yesterday)

8/08/2022
Edit : she has still been very non-active spent the most of the day curled up in the corner same as yesterday, still is still refusing to go into either of the hide options I have. both times that I took her out she spent the entire period curled up in first my jumper and then the palm of my hand and didn’t move around much at all. I did have a head pack for extra warm on me( between her and’s clothing too not direct contact) both times

She is probably quite unsure and scared at the minute. You only got her two days ago. Give her time to settle and become accustomed to her new surroundings. If she is curled up not in the hides that would just be the temperature she is preferring at the minute. I am quite sure I freaked my snake out in its first couple of weeks, constantly getting him out and bothering him. If I had my time back I probably would have just left him and given him space to settle in. For about two weeks he didn't use his hides either. Can only assume it was temperature related and he preferred the spot he was choosing or just wasn't sure about the hides/his environment yet.

Perhaps someone more experienced will chime in here but this has been my experience so far. Not sure if you're new to snake keeping but I worry about my little guy too. The more I learn though the more at ease I feel.

If you can add some photos of your setup, that would help everyone commenting. It’s winter too so they will slow down and most won’t do anything during the day until it’s dark.

You may be able to move heat mat to cover half the tub to help with temps if it’s really cold.

Also, probably a good idea to leave her for a week to get used to her surroundings.

👍

Im sure she'll be fine, but I agree with Mack, she's probably just unsure. Everything with snakes happens very slowly, including them getting acclimated and comfortable in their new home so my advice would be to leave her alone completely for at the very least a week and let her get used to her new environment. Try not to even open her enclosure unless you have to. Once she's better acclimated, then you can start handling her, but again, I would do this very slowly. A few hours is a long time for a snake to be handled, especially one thats just gone through a stressful event like moving, so I would recommend maybe starting with 5-10 minutes once or twice a week, and then slowly increasing the time and frequency as she becomes more comfortable. My snake also refuses to go into her hides when she's very stressed, so I wouldn't be too concerned, its not uncommon behaviour following a stressful event - you've just got to give them some time and given nothing in their environment is bothering them, they'll happily start using their hides.

7/08/2022 -
I got a childrens python yesterday (under 1 yr old). After I set her enclosure up she seemed curious and would go the little hutches I set up in the case (there’s two) but I did have to move a hutch twice at different points to get to her/ check the temperature and now today she hasn’t used the hidey-hole hutches at all. I’ve been checking the temp with infrared gun and it’s about 30-32 right in the deep part of the hides and 23-28 around the rest of the heated section but I am getting readings around 14-19 in the coldest side as am having hard time getting room temperature up. I only have a 25x45x15cm case as she is still small and have a head pad under that covers about a third of the space. She’s not actively slithering about all day just spent the day moving around a little and then largely still curled inbetween the back of the domed-hide and the back wall of her case (on the heated side). Should I be worried she isn’t using the hides? I did have her out with me for a couple hours this morning but for the Children’s python not using her hidemajority of that time she was curled up under my hand on the bed
(The above was written yesterday)

8/08/2022
Edit : she has still been very non-active spent the most of the day curled up in the corner same as yesterday, still is still refusing to go into either of the hide options I have. both times that I took her out she spent the entire period curled up in first my jumper and then the palm of my hand and didn’t move around much at all. I did have a head pack for extra warm on me( between her and’s clothing too not direct contact) both times

Hi,

As suggested above you'll find that your little snake is just a little unsure of its surroundings and will take a little while to find it's way and become comfortable.

At the moment it is more than likely a little scared of both it's situation and also views you as a possible predator and as such will tend to remain secretive until it gets used to both it's new lodgings and confident you're not out to harm it.

It's understandable that as a new keeper you'd be a bit worried that it's inactive and secretive and inclined to want to check on it but the best thing you can do for now is to just be patient and give it time to come around.

If you've provided a heat pad then it will sooner or later work out where the best location to warm up is and utilize it accordingly. Remember unlike mammals a snake relies on external sources to control it's body temperature (thermoregulation). So it will seek out a sourse to heat up to it's preferred body temperature and then at some stage retreat to a cooler location to rest until it needs to warm up again.

Young snakes like to be able to squeeze into shelter sites as a security measure so one of the reasons it is tending to avoid the hides is more than likely because it feels exposed and unsafe even in the hide. So again give it time, leave it alone and it will work out that it can be confident to use the hides for shelter and if one of the hides is over the heat pad to also warm up.

Also despite what some may try and have you believe they don't crave companionship nor bond with their keeper so don't expect it to, for want of a better term, become your friend. It will eventually get used to you and feel comfortable in your presence and while being handled but this will take time so don't try and rush things. Again as suggested above, in the initial stages keep handling to a minimum (5 to10 minutes once or twice a week).

Don't be frightened to ask questions if you're not sure of anything as you'll find there are plenty of very experienced keepers who are only to happy to help out where they can. In addition, if you haven't already, can I suggest you get your hands on a book or two that provides information regarding best husbandry practices for keeping pythons.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back