Childreni diet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reps_as_pets

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I fed my little girl Saphira (childrens python) yesterday, and decided to get her some baby quail as a treat. She appeared to be afraid of it! My question is should I try her again next feed or stick to rats and accept she doesn't like quail? I don't want to stress her. She's 4 if that makes any difference.
Also should I be slowing down her feeding this time of year? She had heat and food all winter last year. I'm in Coffs Harbour NSW. So weather doesn't get too extreme.
Thanks for any help. Sorry for the newbie questions.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1459659957665.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1459659957665.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 52
Hey! Did you feed her a rat yesterday, or have you just decided to wait a while to see if she'll eat?

If you have more quails, and you haven't fed her this time, wait until next feed and try again. If she still won't take it, you could just leave it on the floor in the enclosure for an hour or two to see if she'll see it's food. Just make sure it's kind of warm, like a live one would be.

As for slowing down feeding, it's really up to personal preference. Some people prefer to "simulate" winter by slowing food (or stopping it altogether) and turning the heater off, or only having heat in a very specified location as opposed to the regular gradient. In my opinion, unless the snake has been raised with a season cycle, or slows eating during winter, you should just leave it be. If the snake is willing to feed, keep feeding as normal :) It might depend on species, but I think Children's Pythons are fine.

You should thaw out the quail in hot water with a rat to cross scent it then offer the quail followed by the rats .If that doesnt work feed the rat first and then poke the quail in as the rat is disappearing.

Hi everyone. I fed my little girl Saphira (childrens python) yesterday, and decided to get her some baby quail as a treat. She appeared to be afraid of it! My question is should I try her again next feed or stick to rats and accept she doesn't like quail?

Perfectly fine to stick to rats or even mice for them.Sometimes feeding quail can turn them off rodents all together so unless you always have access to quail it could cause problems.

As Ramsayi says, it sometimes causes problems when you don't stick to proven preferences or regimes - it can cause them to become fixated on one sort of food over another, so if it's eating rodents OK, it's probably best to stick with them. As he says, rodents are perfectly fine for a whole-of-life diet. And remember, Children's probably don't eat a lot of birds in the wild, they would mostly eat lizards and small mammals.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back