Childrens python enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarshall

Reaction score
Hi I've just gotten a marble childrens python and I have a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft enclosure. The python is only just over 4 months old. The owner has said to keep it in a click clack inside the enclosure until it is about 12months old then release it into the enclosure..the current container is 24cm long x 17cm wide x 10cm deep just curious as to how big should the click clack be and the temp inside it. Currently I have it sitting under a ceramic heat lamp set at 30c and at night I drop it to 22 to 24.does this sound about right or keep the temp at 28 all the time day and night.
Or is a heat mat better under only half the container allowing a cooler end
20230506_171722.jpg20230506_171715.jpg20230507_091048.jpg20230507_091051.jpg

Attachments

• 20230507_091042.jpg
    20230507_091042.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230506_171704.jpg
    20230506_171704.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Lol you want a heat mat under 1/3 the tub with a spot the snake can get to at 32-33c and the rest of tub at ambient temps
You will want thermostat probes in contact with the mat outside of the tub so the snake can’t move it around

Ceramic heaters are rubbish and should be seen more as a way to increase ambient temps NOT to provide a baskin spot

Please for the love of god move the glass enclosure away from
Direct sunlight, your snake will turn to a burnt piece of toast

(Imagine standing in a glass box outside, might as well be an oven)

Edit; you also need a hide

Lol you want a heat mat under 1/3 the tub with a spot the snake can get to at 32-33c and the rest of tub at ambient temps
You will want thermostat probes in contact with the mat outside of the tub so the snake can’t move it around

Ceramic heaters are rubbish and should be seen more as a way to increase ambient temps NOT to provide a baskin spot

Please for the love of god move the glass enclosure away from
Direct sunlight, your snake will turn to a burnt piece of toast

(Imagine standing in a glass box outside, might as well be an oven)

Edit; you also need a hide
Cheers for the reply. I've already built a wood enclosure for him, this photo was taken the day I bought her home and only in there for a that afternoon until I built the enclosure. He was in an old beardy enclosure.
Just a query, with the probe in direct contact outside of the box, won't the inside of the container be cooler If you set it at 32c?.

So I take it, it'll be better to get a larger container than he's already in so I can fit the water bowl and maybe 2 hiding spots for him 1 at the warm end 1 at the cooler? I was just going off what the breeder had suggested, hence why I was asking here, it seemed small

So I take it, it'll be better to get a larger container than he's already in so I can fit the water bowl and maybe 2 hiding spots for him 1 at the warm end 1 at the cooler? I was just going off what the breeder had suggested, hence why I was asking here, it seemed small
Correct, I’m not sure how big your container is, but the 5L quadrant tubs from reject shop work well :)! You dont want it TOO big

I use pvc pipe caps and toilet paper rolls for hides

Just a query, with the probe in direct contact outside of the box, won't the inside of the container be cooler If you set it at 32c?.

Correct, so you set it slightly higher untill you have the correct temp inside. Say set thermostat to 34/35 inside tub will be 31/32 or so

Nice ty.. I went out and just got a 4lt snap lid and drilled holes all around it and I temporally put a couple of toilet rolls in there for it till I get something decent..
Really appreciate all the tips. Ty

Use a temp gun pointed at the actually location where the snake will be, then set your thermostat to the higher temp needed to result in the correct temp where the snake will be. Like Herpetology said use toilet rolls, or little pill boxes for hides at a young age, they like to be smooched and secure so don't try and get too big a tub as that will defeat the purpose of the tub. JUST enough space for hide at one end (warm) and hide and water bowl at other they don't need more than that while little.

Hi I've just gotten a marble childrens python and I have a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft enclosure. The python is only just over 4 months old. The owner has said to keep it in a click clack inside the enclosure until it is about 12months old then release it into the enclosure..the current container is 24cm long x 17cm wide x 10cm deep just curious as to how big should the click clack be and the temp inside it. Currently I have it sitting under a ceramic heat lamp set at 30c and at night I drop it to 22 to 24.does this sound about right or keep the temp at 28 all the time day and night.
Or is a heat mat better under only half the container allowing a cooler end
View attachment 335318View attachment 335317View attachment 335314View attachment 335313
Mine went in his life enclosure at that age which is 90x60x45cm and he’s 1meter long children’s python now super healthy never seen a vet in 3 years which is his age .touch wood. I’m not a fan of small tubs for many health reasons psychological mainly . i replied late but I hope it helps another reader this snake is too big for that tub at no fault of your own at the time .peace.

he was a baby when I put him here the trick is many places to hide and clime .

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0767.jpeg
    IMG_0767.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Mine went in his life enclosure at that age which is 90x60x45cm and he’s 1meter long children’s python now super healthy never seen a vet in 3 years which is his age .touch wood. I’m not a fan of small tubs for many health reasons psychological mainly . i replied late but I hope it helps another reader this snake is too big for that tub at no fault of your own at the time .peace.
Can you please remember that not all snakes are the same and that while yours is 100% an outlier and comfortable being in a larger space at a younger age the the many many experienced breeders and keepers on the site know that the majority will go off food and cause lots and lots of stress and anxiety for their owners as well as themselves. I understand that you mean well, but please realise your snake is NOT every snake.

Latest posts

Back