Childrens Python First Shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benji Chaffey

Reaction score
Hey all, Ive noticed my juvenile Childrens Python has begun shedding however she has shed in parts and not one big piece.
I keep the temp at about 28-29°C with a heat mat at about 31°C throughout the day and drop it too about 24-26°C at night.
The humidity was at 48% today but usually sits up above 50%. She has never refused to eat but sits in the corner of the warm side for the entire day.
Is there anything i need to do to assist her shed or anything i need to change to make her feel better?
Thank you.

Hey
I have two childrens and have always shed fully except for the tip of tail. Every time I notice them going into shed I will mist the enclosure making sure to keep a humidity of 50% or higher. Id say you may need to let her have a soak in some warm water ( not too hot) or make sure clean water daily. That is from my personal experience. You could need to do something more. If you are close to the place you bought the python, you could always take it in and ask for their opinions.
Hope it helps and the little fella sheds fully for you :)

Hey all, Ive noticed my juvenile Childrens Python has begun shedding however she has shed in parts and not one big piece.
I keep the temp at about 28-29°C with a heat mat at about 31°C throughout the day and drop it too about 24-26°C at night.
The humidity was at 48% today but usually sits up above 50%. She has never refused to eat but sits in the corner of the warm side for the entire day.
Is there anything i need to do to assist her shed or anything i need to change to make her feel better?
Thank you.
in future humidity above 55% spray with mist around and on him everyday while in cycle always check his shed especially eyes and tip of tail if the caps don’t come off keep humidity high they usually come off next shed but go to vet instead of waiting a reputable reptile vet and soak his tail until th shed comes off because it will cut the blood circulation and vet will have to amputate part of his tail mine had retained eye caps but cleared next she’d on the day I was going to go to vet very lucky .oh and treat the water before misting always in every aspect drinking or spraying and soaking anything in water no matter what.

Last edited:
My children's, Nyissa, likes high humidity. Once it starts dropping off, her shedding goes to **** lol. There were months I was bathing her and peeling her like a bad sunburn, and she was refusing to eat.

I fixed it by giving her a sauna, lol. Put in a smaller sized water bowl, and filled it with pebbles from kmart, stuck it up the hot end, and top it up with water every few days as it evaporates. Seems to be doing the trick, ever since all her sheds have been complete! :)

Attach3d a pic of her sauna lol

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpeg
    IMG_9679.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have 5 Ants but only my Childrens has any trouble shedding, I used to put him in a tub of damp sphagnum moss on a heat mat. But I've found a better way, now I put the tub of moss in his enclosure with humidity up around 75-80%. Perfect shed every time.

Latest posts

Back