Children's Python - Pupil size difference?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noztalgic46

Reaction score
I have a young Children's python, not sure on age but she's about a foot long. I have had her for almost 2 months now, and have noticed that one of her pupils seems to expand more than the other and stays bigger than the other in lower light settings. In a bright setting, like in her enclosure, they both contract to the same size. Looking back at pictures, I think her eyes have always been like this. Is this anything to be concerned about, or normal?

I'm not a snake expert but what you're describing sounds like Anisocoria to me, I know because I have it. It basically just a term for unequal pupil size and and it can be caused by a bunch of things from genetics, head trauma, mild vision impairments to serious neurological disease. Sometimes its totally benign and has no impact at all, sometimes it can be indicative of something serious and life threatening.

If the difference is minimal and its been occurring since you've had them I wouldn't be too worried - usually you'd be concerned if it developed very quickly out of nowhere but it doesn't sound like thats the case. 1/5 people have Anisocoria and most are unaffected by it, I would guess its a similar case for animals but I'm not certain. Anisocoria is basically just a symptom with a broad range of possible causes so if you're worried or see any other concerning behaviours you can always give a vet a ring

Personally I wouldn't be concerned if everything else looks normal, i'd just keep an eye on it - maybe take some photos so you can compare in a couple down the track to see if the difference is pupil sizes has become more pronounced. Hope that helps, good luck!

Back