Childrens pythons dont need humidity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickiG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I read everywhere that they do need humidity, some say 50%, some 20-80%, and another 60-70%. Then I read on FB that no one in Australia worries about humidity for their childrens pythons and no one they know worries about it 🙃 so what’s the truth?

They need humidity, its a vital component to making sure they shed their skin properly. Most people don't pay that much attention to it because they live in an area that already has suitable humidity and/or they have a sizeable water bowl in the enclosure so the humidity usually takes care of itself. Just as a rule of thumb, if your snakes shed is coming off in little strips instead of one uniform piece, its a good indicator that the humidity is too low. Things like scale rot could be an indication that the humidity is too high. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you but if you're looking for a percentage to guide you, I've found around 70% works well. The safest bet is to use your snakes behaviour as a guide and adjust accordingly - hope that helps

They need humidity, its a vital component to making sure they shed their skin properly. Most people don't pay that much attention to it because they live in an area that already has suitable humidity and/or they have a sizeable water bowl in the enclosure so the humidity usually takes care of itself. Just as a rule of thumb, if your snakes shed is coming off in little strips instead of one uniform piece, its a good indicator that the humidity is too low. Things like scale rot could be an indication that the humidity is too high. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you but if you're looking for a percentage to guide you, I've found around 70% works well. The safest bet is to use your snakes behaviour as a guide and adjust accordingly - hope that helps
Oh okay, I live in Vic so we probably don’t have good humidity, especially inside. It gets very cold in my house too. But it does help, thank you.

Also when you notice your snake is in blue (going into shed) then you can use a spray bottle filled with water and spray down their warm hide and area to increase humidity for a better shed, but only have to really worry about it when they're going into shed. Don't overthink it too much.

Also when you notice your snake is in blue (going into shed) then you can use a spray bottle filled with water and spray down their warm hide and area to increase humidity for a better shed, but only have to really worry about it when they're going into shed. Don't overthink it too much.
I have been overthinking for sure lol, she’s in shed but hasn’t got blue eyes yet and my humidity gauge broke right before I got her but another should be here soon. She has a water bowl and a heat mat, so hopefully that’s creating some humidity.

Yeah if she's in shed and hiding in hot hide for days on end, they lose the blue eyes and blue look to them a day or so before they shed, that's when I give mine the extra spray on him and the substrate of his hot hide, then it's dry again by time he's shed so no risk of scale rot and rest of time humidity is fine, I just do it as an extra boost for him when he's shedding. Don't have a humidity gauge myself, just when changing water ensure some of substrate is damp but not where snake always sits.

Yeah if she's in shed and hiding in hot hide for days on end, they lose the blue eyes and blue look to them a day or so before they shed, that's when I give mine the extra spray on him and the substrate of his hot hide, then it's dry again by time he's shed so no risk of scale rot and rest of time humidity is fine, I just do it as an extra boost for him when he's shedding. Don't have a humidity gauge myself, just when changing water ensure some of substrate is damp but not where snake always sits.
Her shed is currently coming off, she never got blue eyes though, so I was surprised to see it peeling. I made her have a soak just before and was just circling around trying to get the shed off I think. She looks a lot better, she was looking rather dried out? So I definitely think it was too low. By the sound of it, it comes off rather quickly?

Hi Vixen
Maybe you could help. My childrens has just had his first shed.
Still has bits stuck along his upper body, along his back (so to speak).
Ive been giving him warm baths. He loves it. Its nice & deep. Covers him completely. Is there any little tricks, apart from spraying or bathing, that might help. I would hate to fail on the first shed as i dont want to set him up for bad future sheds.
Any tips would be much appreciated. Thankyou

After a soak you can rub gently scratch/peel it off. It is dead skin so it won't hurt him, he will probably try and wiggle away if you take too long doing it over and over so just try and do it nice a quick. It's not something you can fail as such so don't stress out about it, it'll flake off eventually, important areas are the eye caps and the tip of tail, rest should come off without assistance.
Oh should preface that with so long as your little dude is eating fine with you, then you can handle away and rub/peel it off. If they haven't eaten in your care yet let them settle in first.
In future for sheds use the https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-15l-coir-peat-brick_p0274283 as a substrate, ensure blue label one without fertilisers etc. this substrate works great for maintaining humidity (DO NOT mix with amount of water said on packet, just use bare minimum to break it up) then when they're in blue do the spray down of their warm area and all the time you can have a section (not directly under their hides) that's nice and moist this will help with sheds.

I read everywhere that they do need humidity, some say 50%, some 20-80%, and another 60-70%. Then I read on FB that no one in Australia worries about humidity for their childrens pythons and no one they know worries about it 🙃 so what’s the truth?

Hi Vixen
Maybe you could help. My childrens has just had his first shed.
Still has bits stuck along his upper body, along his back (so to speak).
Ive been giving him warm baths. He loves it. Its nice & deep. Covers him completely. Is there any little tricks, apart from spraying or bathing, that might help. I would hate to fail on the first shed as i dont want to set him up for bad future sheds.
Any tips would be much appreciated. Thankyou
Hi VickiG & JustTC

To answer Vicki's question - Yes humidity does play an important role in the shedding process but there are other important factors to also consider including malnutrition and dehydration.

Poor sheds are more often than not related to poor husbandry technique which unfortunately is common with those new to keeping reptiles and snakes in particular. Please don't think I am having a go at either of you or directing this at you personally, it's just a common factor that raises it's head on this forum on a regular basis.

The first thing to be aware of is why snakes shed their skin (referred to as ecdysis) and there are several reasons for it. As well as shedding the old skin to allow further growth, snakes also shed due a parasite infection and/or to recover and replace skin as a result of an injury.

Basically a snake's skin consists mainly of two layers, the dermis (inner layer) and epidermis (outer layer). As the outer layer ages it becomes covered in keratin and is designed to shield the living cells underneath which continuously divide to produce new skin for the purpose of replacing the dead keratinous layer of the outer skin.

So, in relation to the growing process and without going into too much detail, what happens is that, as a snake grows it produces cells to create new skin which eventually become scales and once complete is referred to as the new epidermal layer. As the epidermal layer gets older it gradually keratinizes causing it to become tough and hard whereby it looses its flexibility and restricts the snakes growth.

When the new epidermal layer is ready to be exposed the snakes produces a lubricant between the new and old skin to separate the two layers and make ready for the shedding process. It is the presence of the lubricant that causes the blue or dull appearance if the snake's eyes.

A poor or incomplete shed is called "dysecdysis" and as mentioned above often correlates with poor husbandry, including malnutrition, dehydration and low humidity. It should be noted that a lot of people relate low humidity with dysecdysis without considering the role that hydration contributes to the process. Hydration plays a very important role in producing the correct amount of lubricant required and conducive with a clean shed,

Naturally malnutrition can be avoided by providing an appropriate and regular diet of the correct sized prey relevant to the age and size of the snake. As snakes obtain a great deal of their fluid intake from their prey items, dehydration can be avoided by providing whole food items as well as a regular supply of fresh water. Humidity is easily maintained by providing an oversized water dish (relative to the size of the enclosure) combined with a heat gradient appropriate for the species being kept. I'll just add that if the water bowl is large enough it provides the snake the opportunity, if needed, to soak of it's own accord and soften the outer layer of skin pre-shed. If all these requirements are met correctly there should be no need for a keeper to intervene and soak a snake or spray the enclosure prior to shedding.

Hope this helps in understanding why and the way snakes shed and the need for a keeper to be vigilant with maintaining proper care for their welfare of their animals.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back