Children's won't eat, been 4 mths.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markat

Reaction score
Hi
I need help. my male childrens hasn't eaten for about 4 months now. His last feed was 9/2/09 on a mouse. I was feeding around every 2 weeks. He has had 2 sheds since. Last year he went off his food around the same time. He is looking very thin. I have tried mice , rats & qualis but he is not interested, he has a bit is a sniff but then nothing. I have been using a product called Mouse Maker to scent the food, I've been putting a few drops on after the food has been in for about 1/2 hr to see if he will take it but still nothing. I usually leave the feed in over night & throw it out in the morning. Does it have any thing to do with breeding? what about temps?
cheers markat

Hi markat. How old is it? What are the maintained temps? You said it went off feed last year.... when did it feed again? September by any chance?

Hi,
He is about 3 1/2 yrs, last year he started feeding again in the 3rd week of August. temps have been at 28/29 deg. he went off his food around 6 weeks earlier this year, so hopefully he will feed soon.
Cheers.

We did have an early cold snap this year. Late August early September is usually when they feed again. IMO 28/29 deg is not hot enough to keep Antareisa feeding during winter. There are no problems associated with letting it cool over winter (and most will advise that you do) however you can't expect it to feed if you do so. IMO you should offer 32 to 34 deg during the day and turn off the heat during the night then start to feed again late August. What area do you live in? If you are up north they will most likely feed sooner that in the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back