Climbing Stuff

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I get two of my custom built big houses this Saturday, so time to start painting and furnishing them so my little darlings will have some more room to move in.

My question is:
What do you guys do with climbing logs when you install them?

I got some great curvey pieces of branches when we visited my other half's parents farm a few weekends back, and now I want to know how to keep them.

Obviously I know the whole soak in bleach solution, rinse thoroughly and dry in the sun scenario, but what about treatments, painting, rubbing an oil into them etc??? Any tips on this kind of stuff, or on installation of climbing stuff and furnishings in general?

Cheers,
Nic

Well my branches all have a screw in them to avoid slipping etc, in the tall enclosure with a log about 4 foot long it has two screws through it into the wall of the enclosure and in the six foot I have screwed the branches to the light guards. Come cleaning time it's only one or two screws and they are out. The hides I have high in the enclosure I have screwwed two brackets to the wall, put nuts and bolts through the free end and drilled the hide to match these so they just slot on. Two wing nuts then secure them and a piece of silicone air line tubing, (aquarium type), is slipped over the bolts to protect the snake from harm. I don't treat my branches, logs with any paints or oils and they are lasting quite well so far. Hope this is of some help to you.

Hi Nic in snake law la law person BR (woops brain slipped a cog)

When you soak the branches check to make sure there are no unexpected minute ants living in them. I did the bleach trick after first pressure blasting them (2000psi) they were submerged for 30 minutes. Two days after I installed them I noticed tiny ants coming and going from a small crack and spent the next week killing them whenever I saw them

I made up a new (additional one last weekend and used a syringe to squirt Hydrogen peroxide into all cracks just to be sure.

Once mine were ready for the enclosure I fixed them in place by screwing through the back wall straight into the branch to make sure it couldn't move. I didnt want any chance of the branch slipping and squishing Snap.

I also sprayed my enclosure with Dulux high Gloss paint which has given it a very durable finish. The problem I had there was that it took about a week and a half for the fumes to clear.

I didn't oil the branches as they are about 20 year old tree roots and seem to be just about indestructable.

enclosure piccy at
http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Thanks guys.
How is the wood to clean if not sealed....
By the same token I don't want to make them slippery either...

Logs

Nice choice of timber, Graham. Looks great. I gave it an 8! Put a snake in it and I'll give it a 9!

Nicole said:
Thanks guys.
How is the wood to clean if not sealed....
By the same token I don't want to make them slippery either...

Hi Nic

once out of the bleach wash the whole thigs is a bit gungy and needs to be claned off. I used a pressue blaster but I would think a scrubbing brush and warm slightly soapy water followed by a rinse will work fine.

David

thanks for the 8.

The log along the top is hollow (I used a chainsaw and chisle to remove a section from the back - hollowed it out and then place the section back in place - so it's a hollow log. On the front I have a removable section at each end (you can see the outline if you look carefully) to give me access and there are several holes for snake entry. Seems to work quite well

Hi Nic, if you mean for your regular clean ups or clean outs following the initial clean then I find the raw wood no problem. I use repti clean from the herp shop and find that good too :) I just brush my branches with the solution and let 'em dry outside preferably in the sun cos it's a lot quicker. It works for me and I have had no problems with it so far :)

Thanks Afric, that was exactly what I was talking about, just the regular clean ups. I might try doing just a very light coat of sealant, and make sure the wood is still rough.

Question. Do any of you allow your snakes out for a few hrs a time? say in your loungeroom? I'd like to do this but snakes being snakes i spend a further hour trying to encourage him out from among the tv/vcr cables/under fishtanks etc. I'm thinking of stting up a "tree for him in the lounge so he can climd and adventure but is easy to find.any ideas/pics?

Watso leve him til he shed first. By the way did his eyes cleared yet?

Watts, go to bunnings, get a 90c bucket and a bag of quick dry cement. Go out to your backyard, find a nice branch, remove it from the tree then cut it to size and shape , put it in the bucket and add cement and water. Viola.... an indoor climbing branch.

hey thanks magpie good idea, i did have the stand from a pedestool fan but he just tipped it over when he ventured too far, ill do that. Hey slateman, no wrorrys im not touching monty till after he sheds i know skin is easy to damage mate.yes his eyes clear tonite maybe shed soon, sorry bout using poppets but to much bother log out log back in. Africa if u got a gum tree in your longeroom ..your outside!:) does senile dementia mean anything:p :)

ROFL africa, it may not be too late for a "standup" career! lmao :D

hi nic

can i throw another idea at you..

when we mount branches logs etc in out indoor cages we use hooks and eyes of appropreate size the eyes go into the furniture the hooks go into the cage where you want them to hang you can then lift the furniture on and off the hooks at any time for cleaning etc. just make sure there are no manufacter flaws on the hooks eg: sharpe ands if there are give them a file so they are rounded.
once mounted you can then close the hooks a little with a pair of long nose pliers if you want to.

you will be amazed just how well this works. we have bits of river wood that is very heavey that is suspended very well with 4 hooks and eyes.
not sure if greg noticed while he was here but he may have some input on this.
cheers paul.

I gust chuck the branches in i have neer had any problems in my year and a half or mabey 2 years of keeping reptiles

Some of my stuff is screwed in and the rest is just thrown in.That way it's allways easy to clean.

my branches get washed in plain old water. the less chemicals the better i say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back