Code of Practise in vic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilia

Reaction score
Under the code of practise in victoria for keeping reptiles. Do the enclosures have to meet those dimensions . For example. Say you keep 1 adult frilly which is 70 cm in total length. Does that mean you have to keep it in a 175cm long, 140 cm deep enclosure?.... because according to the code of practice those are the minimum dimensions. ie Every lizard has to be kept in an enclosure 2.5 times its total length (long in enclosure) and twice its length, (deep in the enclosure).

Now your telling me people have an enclosure this size for 1-2 frillies. I've seen alot smaller.....

And dont you think if these were the requirements. Reptile enclosure makers would build these dimensions standard, instead of the norm being 1200x600x600 or 900x600x600.

Im a little confused about the code. not just for lizards but for both terrestrial and arboreal snakes.

If a wildlife officer did come around (unlikely but who takes the chance), I wouldnt want him taking my reptiles away because i was an inch to short their or a few cm off on that etc.

Any info you can provide me will be greatly appreciated...

Cheers. Lance.

I took that as more guidelines than actual laws...haven't had a read thru it in a while but you'd think if it was that important they would actually send them to you when you get your licence, rather than finding a copy in a pet shop like we did!

The guidelines are not "binding" but that does not mean they could not be used against you in a legal sense if an issue of cruelty ever came up.

If frillies are what you are after you may be interested in the Frilly care sheet at http://www.herpshop.com.au. I updated it last night for the author. The thrust of last nights changes was to emphasise the amount of room that frillies require. It is an excellent care sheet with some great photos.

It is a requirement, if the department wants it can and will use it against you
Just stay on the right side of them. :)

Yeah the frillies care sheet at the herp shop was where i originally thought, Hang on..... 50cm deep for a pair of adult frilly's when they grow to 70cm plus????.

(And yeah the wildlife officers bring a measuring tape lol... )
Which my mate thought was quite odd.

Yeah i think ill stay on the safe side and follow the code.

Cheers. Lance.

Mate of ours was looked at recently and his phone and his computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back