Concrete Furniture

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

almaron

Reaction score
Made some new hide boxes for my ball pythons today. Used concrete with a slate tile lid. I wanted to try out the idea to see how it worked for my ball pythons, and if I like, I'm planning on making some bigger and better ones for my olives in their new enclosures. I put some pictures of the work in progress here:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

And some pics of my ball pythons checking out their new setup here(first five pictures):

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

My thinking was to have slate tile directly below ceramic heater I use for heating cage. This way they have spot to bask by laying on top hide. Slate should soak up heat well, and also radiate into hide cave itself.

Not real happy with the way the slate cave turned out. Just don't like the looks of it too much, but it will do. Learned a few tricks and the second one looks much more like I was going for. I'm thinking with the ones I make for olives, I will use some concrete dye, then use an acrylic concrete sealer.

Well let me know what you think, and any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

They look like a great idea Al.
Too heavy for them to be moved around by the snake/s.
Will you be sealing the concrete as well?Being so porous if left unsealed might be a bugger to clean thoroughly.

Almaron,
Good to see that you are giving the DIY thing ago, should save a packet if you do the same for all your snakes.

I would definately put some sort of concrete sealer on the hides though, otherwise, one crap and it will stain!
Good idea regarding the roof, Are they using it much as a basking spot, or are they still checking it out before settling?
Did you use a mould of some sort for the basic shape ?

Great Idea Al. I have messed around with concrete a bit, but just to make bases for branches for my dragons. One product that may help you is a waterproofing agent. I use Bondall Silasec but this is an Aussie product so you probably won't be able to get it ( www.bondall.com .) This not only waterproofs but makes the concrete set in about 1/4 the time.
Another idea is to pour your concrete into a mould. Coat the inside of the mould with oil (I use olive oil,) pour the mix in, wait for 24 hours and pop it back out.

Yeah, I'm planning on sealing it with something. Quickcrete makes a product here like you're talking about Magpie. I used spray type cooking oil to ease release. No mould, just mixed it stiff and used my hands to shape. I used quick setting concrete, just to make it easier to build up.
They weren't using as basking spot yet. I had just put them back in there, and they were just checking everything over (still are 2 hrs later).

:)

Cool stuff, Al. ... and cute girl too! How come we don't here from her in Kidz Corner??

I just pressed tile into top while it was still setting, then removed. You can't really see in pictures, but I made a little recess for my finger, so I can lift top off. That way I can get my guys out if they are being shy. I will submit a how-to article here soon. Maybe practice on a few more, and take more pictures in process.

My guys did settle in eventually, which is cool. The small one has been in the big hide on warm side all day, and my girl is hanging out in the other. I think it's because he just ate, so he's still digesting. Pretty cool because it's the first time I've ever seen them sleep separate. Seems I should've had more options for them all along. :?

Yeah Lutzd, I'll have to put a link to the site on my daughter's computer. She would probably dig it. So would my son I'm sure, although his reading/writing isn't quite up to par yet. He will be 5 in a week, and just started kindergarten, where my daughter is about to turn 7. My wife is registered member here and keeps up on things, but she is a perpetual lurker. Might change soon enough though as she is just recently warming up to reptiles in general. Bought herself 2 cute little chameleons about a month ago. Still not keen on snakes too much, but she's coming around.

Sorry to steal ya thread almaron, but thought I'd put some pics of my stand alone branch I made for the southern forest dragons. The plan is to put live sphagnum moss in the base, that is why it is bowl shaped.
Dragon_Branch_2.jpg

Dragon_Branch_3.jpg

Dragon_branch.jpg

Cool idea Magpie. Good way to add some weight and a stable footing to branches. Might have to make some myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back