Converting tall display cabinet - advice on few things

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapped

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, sold the last intended project as the size wasn't suitable (height wise) for my Darwin.

But, I managed to score a brand new display cabinet on FB marketplace at a bargain price, because they couldn't fit it where they wanted to (sold by one of the big furniture stores).

So, it's a veneer covered wood, 2 panes glass in each door.

Dimensions: L 100cm x D 50cm x H 160 including the legs, see the pics

The shelves are attached by dowel/screws, so I'll either remove them, or cut out (jigsaw) what parts i don't intend to use, as I'd like a couple of basking shelves.

My plan was to have a heat lamp in the top right (ready wired with cage) and because the top shelf would be too close, remove that section. Possibly leave part of the shelf to the left of it to bask?

I've got a dimming thermostat, an on/off thermostat, thermometer with two probes, also a temperature gun... and have an assortment of different wattage globes, red, some white, and also moon bulbs to try out with regards to heat, as I'm in South Australia, and the enclosure will be in a room which is heated to approx 20 degrees at night.
Also have another ceramic fitting/cage which I though I would use as a light, in the middle of the top, which could also be used as a heat lamp?

Will have to seal it (I've got Cromellins pond sealer), silicone the joins etc.

Have a piece of timber for the bottom to use as a lip for substrate, have a source for logs/branches, which I'll screw in.

Not sure about vents, as the door has a decent little gap going, which I was planning to fill in with a piece of 5mm timber *see pic* obviously barrel bolt locks top and bottom, and one in the middle.

Also have a heat tile made up.

*Thoughts? What would you do with it?

*on where to put the heat tile.

*Placement of heat lamps/lights

*will I also need a heat panel/radiator

*Leave part of a shelf/s (jigsaw out the middle for branches to go up) in so he has access to stretch out horizontally (he is a big explorer of his current enclosure)

*Vents/air flow

*Would you leave the glass in, replace with perspex, or? ( i have several pieces of 5mm oak timber so thought maybe add a piece of that vertically on the inside of the glass panels) *see pic
*I am worried about the glass panes breaking, I don't know how thick it is, it seems sturdy, obviously not as thick as what you'd use for sliding door enclosures.

*Is it feasible/cost effective to get window film applied, or should I get the glass panels (top two anyway) replaced with laminated glass? (no idea on the cost of this)

*thought about putting in a timber piece to go across the entire bottom section of the windows on the inside, for safety, and stop heat loss, etc .

Hopefully the pics will upload. Any advice much appreciated. I have an almost 6ft Albino Darwin, he's quite chunky, which this enclosure is intended for.

enclosure 1.jpgenclosure 2.jpgenclosure 3.jpgenclosure 4.jpgenclosure 5.jpgenclosure 1.jpg

Yes the pics uploaded. I done this with one half the length of yours, for my 5 adult green tree frogs using some very similar materials including the waterproof pond sealer. I have left the original glass windows in and had no problem.
I wanted to first put foam insulation (or the pink builders material) on the inside walls THEN pond sealer, etc but didn't which would be better for heat retention.
Also another mistake I made was not putting all cords through the one hole (I forgot the aquarium heater, which i had to put through the gap where both doors close AFTER I finished everything else), I went away for a couple days and when I returned home I noticed the cord going through the doors accidentally jarred it open a bit, making 3 frogs escape. I still haven't found them however every door and window has been closed and I'm hopeful they will show up soon!
(My cat had also been left unattended for a few hours and I'm very worried she has eaten them!).

So yes make sure the doors shut very securely!

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, the cords will be going through one hole, except the heat mat as it will be further down.
There's no way my snake could get through that gap, he's three times the width, but I plan on putting thin timber running down the length of it.
Hope you find your frogs!

I was hoping some snake people would come along to offer some advice too, come on guys, any help appreciated especially those who have done a tall enclosure. šŸ™

Okay, sold the last intended project as the size wasn't suitable (height wise) for my Darwin.

But, I managed to score a brand new display cabinet on FB marketplace at a bargain price, because they couldn't fit it where they wanted to (sold by one of the big furniture stores).

So, it's a veneer covered wood, 2 panes glass in each door.

Dimensions: L 100cm x D 50cm x H 160 including the legs, see the pics

The shelves are attached by dowel/screws, so I'll either remove them, or cut out (jigsaw) what parts i don't intend to use, as I'd like a couple of basking shelves.

My plan was to have a heat lamp in the top right (ready wired with cage) and because the top shelf would be too close, remove that section. Possibly leave part of the shelf to the left of it to bask?

I've got a dimming thermostat, an on/off thermostat, thermometer with two probes, also a temperature gun... and have an assortment of different wattage globes, red, some white, and also moon bulbs to try out with regards to heat, as I'm in South Australia, and the enclosure will be in a room which is heated to approx 20 degrees at night.
Also have another ceramic fitting/cage which I though I would use as a light, in the middle of the top, which could also be used as a heat lamp?

Will have to seal it (I've got Cromellins pond sealer), silicone the joins etc.

Have a piece of timber for the bottom to use as a lip for substrate, have a source for logs/branches, which I'll screw in.

Not sure about vents, as the door has a decent little gap going, which I was planning to fill in with a piece of 5mm timber *see pic* obviously barrel bolt locks top and bottom, and one in the middle.

Also have a heat tile made up.

*Thoughts? What would you do with it?

*on where to put the heat tile.

*Placement of heat lamps/lights

*will I also need a heat panel/radiator

*Leave part of a shelf/s (jigsaw out the middle for branches to go up) in so he has access to stretch out horizontally (he is a big explorer of his current enclosure)

*Vents/air flow

*Would you leave the glass in, replace with perspex, or? ( i have several pieces of 5mm oak timber so thought maybe add a piece of that vertically on the inside of the glass panels) *see pic
*I am worried about the glass panes breaking, I don't know how thick it is, it seems sturdy, obviously not as thick as what you'd use for sliding door enclosures.

*Is it feasible/cost effective to get window film applied, or should I get the glass panels (top two anyway) replaced with laminated glass? (no idea on the cost of this)

*thought about putting in a timber piece to go across the entire bottom section of the windows on the inside, for safety, and stop heat loss, etc .

Hopefully the pics will upload. Any advice much appreciated. I have an almost 6ft Albino Darwin, he's quite chunky, which this enclosure is intended for.

View attachment 333437View attachment 333438View attachment 333439View attachment 333440View attachment 333441View attachment 333437

Good job! I've been looking for something similar but no luck yet!
I built a flat pack wardrobe for one of my bigger snakes, so could make changes as I put it together but essentially it's now similar to what you're describing.
I painted the inside black and then used pond sealer to waterproof it but you probably won't have to as yours is veneer. I would silicone around the edges, even if you just do the base.
I added a basking shelf on the right and installed the heat lamp above it and used reflective tape on the underside of the top shelf so it didn't get too hot.
I kept the top shelf but removed most of the left side so he could get up there, and have recently put a hide up there too.
Also put a large piece of driftwood across the main part of the wardrobe and some other branches.
Originally put the wall hanger in with a fern in it but he loved lying in it so much I eventually took the plant out šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I put two high and two low ventilation panels on the sides. Also had a gap at the front so added a thin piece of wood like yours, but attached it to the outside of the right hand door....I think you may find it gets in the way if you attach it to the cabinet itself.
I would recommend putting wheels on the bottom.... Makes it so easy to move around! I used the ones with a brake.
I was surprised to find that the single 150w heat lamp is enough and it retails heat well. Basking temp tends to be 33 and the floor is low 20s, whilst the top shelf is mid to high 20s.
I replaced the wood panelling in the doors with acrylic rather than glass, but that was because I didn't want the extra weight. If the glass in the doors is well fixed I would leave it as it is ā˜ŗļøā˜ŗļø

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_084737973.jpg
    PXL_20221015_084737973.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20210202190008.jpg
    IMG20210202190008.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20221014_092724836.jpg
    PXL_20221014_092724836.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20210128195609.jpg
    IMG20210128195609.jpg