Could somebody please help me identify this lizard/snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tom94

Reaction score
This lizard/snake was found in a backyard 15km north of Perth. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what this is? I know its not the best photo so I will understand if it is not possible to identify! Thanks guys!IMG_4467[1].jpg

This lizard/snake was found in a backyard 15km north of Perth. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what this is? I know its not the best photo so I will understand if it is not possible to identify! Thanks guys!View attachment 300393

Its a Lerista of some sort (a skink)

cheers,
scott

I agree with Scott that it looks most like a Lerista sp.
One of the primary reasons is the longitudinal stripes that characterise several members of the genus. I considered Burton's Legless Lizard which also sometimes have similar stripes but the snout doesn't look pointed, so Lerista is the most likely IMO.

It is a skink rather than a legless lizard as the head is distinct from the body.

The local Leristas are strongly marked with visible stripes bar one and it is round and robust with the tip of the tail tapering very suddenly.

There are two species of Hemiergis that occur in the area. This genus and have highly reduced limbs and no external ear opening. The South-western Earless Skink (Hemiergis initialis) has 5 digits, yellow to orange-red belly and bluish-grey throat. It occurs in moister areas such as woodlands and rocks. The Two-toed Earless Skink (Hemiergis quadrilineata) Is found on the coastal sand plain, has two digits, a yellow belly and a white throat.

The two species can look very much alike. I would say it is mostly likely a Two-toed Earless Skink (Hemiergis quadrilineata). Can you check the belly or tell us the habitat it occurred in – sandy versus gravelly soil?

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back