Courting painted turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for sharing! I'm assuming you have been breading them, how long you been doing it for?

i personally love watching vids of every ones reptiles and like to try put up as much vids of mine too!

maybe we should start a thread dedicated to posting links of every ones videos?

I have had turtles for quite a while but this is my first foray into indoor turtles and active breeding. I haven't had these guys long at all but I have eggs cooking at present.

do they breed indoors? also do all paint turtles lose their color once the reach adult size?

do they breed indoors? also do all paint turtles lose their color once the reach adult size?

Adults aren't as bright as hatchlings but diet plays a role in colour expression - given a natural diet of various pigment rich foods provides the best colours. In captivity its hard to replicate this but it is the least important component of an otherwise balanced diet. In the flesh the female is a lovely deep pink. Mine live and mate indoors but I have moved her outside into a heated pond when she shows nesting behaviour (like trying to dig a burrow in her dry dock area).

If you didn't move her outside would she of retained the eggs or just laid in the water (heard of this happening not sure if true)?

If you didn't move her outside would she of retained the eggs or just laid in the water (heard of this happening not sure if true)?

She would have laid in the water, which itself is not an issue if you are keeping an eye on her, BUT the other occupants and the enclosure furniture would have reduced the liklihood of getting all the eggs. As it was, safe on her own, she managed to crack 2 out of the clutch of 13.

Are there many people breeding and selling Emydura subglosia in the community? Even as adults, they are beautiful creatures, and I would love to get one for my current tank once my Murray grows too big.

Beautiful! Hope you have a successful hatching! I've been wanting one for years! Unfortunately breeders are few and far between.

Great vid of some turtles you don't see everywhere :) Nice first vid Danny!

Predictably, I will ask.... what are the blue eyes and rainbows in the tank? Are they food or friends? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back