Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TristanS

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Sadly in november my bearded dragon (P. Minor) died and im looking for a new reptile, im considering Crested dragons. They appear to have similar care to beardies and the same size as my dwarf bearded dragon.
Will they be a great second pet lizard and are there any care tips.

Previous threads suggest that you've gone from the easiest dragon to the hardest:
"cresteds dont make very good pets if thats why you want them, they dont make the best display animals either they are very skidish and flighty."
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum...hons.com/forum/threads/crested-dragons.65862/

Also, apparently they are close to the worst dragons to keep together (not that any dragons live together well in general).

I can certainly understand the appeal to the Cresteds though, they are quite remarkable.

ok, thanks. that ticks one lizard off my list of potential lizards. still got 3 (beardies, blue tongues and water dragons(yes I know they are very large and probably should have a 2mx1mx1m cage at around minimum))

ok, thanks. that ticks one lizard off my list of potential lizards. still got 3 (beardies, blue tongues and water dragons(yes I know they are very large and probably should have a 2mx1mx1m cage at around minimum))

I haven't kept them myself but I was seriously considering them along with the red barred dragons.
I've decided to go the skink route, simply because keepers report they tame better and they outlive their dragon counterparts, in general, by a substantial amount.
Also they are a good initiation into breeding (in theory).
[doublepost=1580562532,1578495151][/doublepost]

What did you end up adopting?

I haven't kept them myself but I was seriously considering them along with the red barred dragons.
I've decided to go the skink route, simply because keepers report they tame better and they outlive their dragon counterparts, in general, by a substantial amount.
Also they are a good initiation into breeding (in theory).
[doublepost=1580562532,1578495151][/doublepost]

What did you end up adopting?

Eastern blue tongue

Cool, how do you like it so far?
[doublepost=1582024519,1582023999][/doublepost]I've read about Cresteds as lizards for beginners and it does not seem too bad to me. They say that males should not go into one terrarium because they will fight, but male plus a few females should be fine. Also, I know they aren't as contacting as bearded dragons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back