Crocodile social environments dictated by male philopatry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baker

Reaction score
The first paper of my PhD investigating the sociality of estuarine crocodiles is now out and available in Behavioral Ecology. I've attached lay summary along with a link to the paper below if you'd like to find out more. Also, if you’d like a copy of the paper but don’t have access just let me know and I can send you a copy through (don’t waste your money buying access to the article, all that money just goes to the journal!).

Few studies have examined the social behaviours of solitary animals, due to the rarity of observing interactions in the wild. We demonstrate how animal telemetry can be used to characterize individual social environments among a wild population of estuarine crocodiles. We discovered that crocodiles were more social than previously thought, where an individual’s sex, degree of site-fidelity and proximity to the mating season influenced the degree of spatial overlap between potential mates and conspecifics.

https://academic.oup.com/beheco/adv...eheco/arab120/6414450?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Portrait of a king by Cameron Baker, on Flickr

Cheers, Cameron

Thank you for sharing mate.
Looking forward to reading this.
One question if I can! I’ve always been interested in feeding habits of both porosus and johnsoni…in Australia, do either cease feeding at reduced temperatures, what temps? Or do they just not inhabit cooler winter waterways?

Thanks for sharing your paper. Excited to read it.

Latest posts

Back