Crook Carpet. Dying of old age??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlepower

Reaction score
Hi all,

After some advice regarding an old Carpet python.
Whilst I don’t know his exact age, he must be at least 25-30+ years old.
He was doing well until he recently had a feed (early august). Not long after, he had horrible diarrhoea. Took him to the vet. They gave him fluids and did a blood test. They didn’t detect an infection but said some enzyme markers may indicate his liver wasn’t functioning properly, which may be associated with old age liver dysfunction.
Since bringing him home, he has been super lethargic. His eyes also clouded up, like he was going to shed, but they have since gone back to clear, and there are no signs of a shed.
I guess my question is, has anyone had experience with a snake dying of old age? Is he suffering for nothing? When should I make the decision to have him put down?

The thing holding me back is that I suspect he may have had a bad feed, as I split a pack of rats between him and another snake I own. Whilst the other snake didn’t have diarrhoea, he had a really smelly poo, which is unusual for him.

How long do you think I should wait?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey there, it can be hard to tell what reptiles are feeling at the best of times
sometimes the first feed of spring can hit them in a bad way and its best to not start with a large prey item
in a few weeks maybe try a small rodent, smaller than usual and see how it goes
but being over 25 years old you have been doing something right to keep him going
so if the vet has said a general all good then all you can do is monitor him
don't get him too hot or cold outside of what he normally experiences
25 years is a good innings so if its time its time, all you can do is your best
good luck

Back