Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdestiny

Reaction score
Hi
I have a male Hunter River (Emydura macquarii gunabarra) who has been very keen to try and mate with a female Krefft turtle (Emydura krefftii) outside in the pond they share with a few others. Every time I had a look today he was after her.
If their mating was or will be successful, what will be the outcome with the eggs? Will they be viable, and what species or subspecies will the hatchlings be?
Thanks
Allan
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com

Definately sounds like a confused turtle, is there any results yet and has anybody got any ideas of an answer to his question

there both in the Emydura genus so im guessing the offspring would turn out fine and could possable breed also. they would be considered hybrids however and wouldnt be worth much but yea it should be possale to get eggs if he manages to get the female.

i was always taught that if to different species of the same genus produce offspring they will be mules...

one of the key indicators of species is the ability to produce viable offspring...

so if they did mate successfully, i'd be doubtful if the eggs hatch, and very positive all offspring would be mules...

very likley the eggs would be able to hatch, also would not suprise me if the young were fertile

they would be considered hybrids however and wouldnt be worth much.

Even if though they will be hybrids i doubt you would have much trouble in selling them. Most people buy turtles just as pets and don't give two hoots about what species they are and breeding doesn't even cross their minds.

But i would doubt wether they would be fertile offspring anyway. I guess it could be compared to carpet x GTP because they are separate species, i haven't yet seen a viable carpondro x carpondro clutch but i have seen a few infertile ones. But hey i could be wrong.

Waruikazi - I reckon its more like a Coastal x a diamond. They are both carpets, just like these turtles are both Emydura. The both the same species just a different sub species/or location.

I reckon the eggs will be fertile and you will sell them with no worries at all. 99% of people buying turtles dont care what species they are, as long as they cute, and theyre a healthy turtle. Good Luck!

sxc_celly the 2 turtles are different species so more like junglexgtp

Waruikazi - I reckon its more like a Coastal x a diamond. They are both carpets, just like these turtles are both Emydura. The both the same species just a different sub species/or location.

I reckon the eggs will be fertile and you will sell them with no worries at all. 99% of people buying turtles dont care what species they are, as long as they cute, and theyre a healthy turtle. Good Luck!

No sorry SXC that's not right. GTP's and carpets are all morelia but one being viridus and one being spilota.

Surely the offspring would be hybrids if it is a cross between two different species. Forensik that definition of a species is rarely used in the reptile world. Many closely related species can breed and produce fertile offspring.

At the Reptile Expo I asked Expansa1 this question, he advised that offspring would be the Sydney Basin turtle.

There are that many Sp. of Emydura turtles (being released & escaped) swimming around Sydney's waterways creating all sort's of crossed offspring, I'd have to agree with him!

emydura krefftii and emudura maquarii are 2 different species, pairing would create a hybrid

My bad before, i thought it was coastal and gts, my bad - it was one of those nights. I think since they are both Emydura and both very closely related they would produce fertile offspring, but would be hybrid. You would still have no worries selling them, as most people just was a turtle as a pet, and dont even think about breeding.

yes, even tho they would be hybrids i wouldnt be suprised if they produced fertile young but honestly, i recommend if eggs are laid just destroy them, if you do sell them whats stopping someone else just selling them as a pure species if they are fertile?

emydura krefftii and emudura maquarii are 2 different species, pairing would create a hybrid

Actually Emydura macquarii krefftii is a sub-species of Emydura macquarii macquarii and would have no problem producing fertile offspring. Sydney short-necks are a cross between the two and have been mitochondrial Dna compared for proof by Georges and Thomson.

really, according to the book i have its emydura krefftii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back