Daily interactions with your pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alichamp

Reaction score
We are in the research phase considering whether to get a snake (possible Stimson) next year, so doing lots of reading and thinking. Consider yourself warned that there are many stupid questions to come ;).

Something I'm wondering now is what kind of interaction you get from your python on a daily/weekly basis. I realise aussie pythons are primarily nocturnal, so I'm wondering how much do you see them? How/when can you interact with them? I assume you would only seek to handle when they are awake, so when and how often would that be?

We have a blue tongue lizard who, quite frankly, could take us or leave us. Fine with us, low maintenance is awesome so obviously we don't expect heaps from them. I love that they don't wait all day for us to get home. But obviously he does usually still come out during the day to bask and it is nice to see him out and about.

So what's realistic when it comes to seeing and interacting with your antaresia or other python? I'd love to hear your stories about what it's like day to day to have a python.

Thanks! :)

Stimsons are a great python to keep and from my experience are generally pretty active! They are usually out and roaming around especially when hungry or warm. But it depends on snake to snake, for example, my Diamond is out pretty much all the time, chilling on branches and sometimes coming up to the glass. My jungle however I don't see much of, he is almost constantly in his hide, so it varies on species to snake.
How comfortable your snake feels in it's environment plays a large part too, so when looking for a python you'd want one that isn't shy or aggressive.
As for handling I try to do it in the late evening 4-8pm-ish, if they are awake and roaming around it''s best to take them out then, but I do sometimes wake them up. In the morning they are usually basking, so I try to avoid contact then.
When you first get your snake you may barely see them, however as they adjust and get used to you, you should see them out and about more.
Hope this helps, good luck!

My Stimmi is constantly hiding. Occasionally we see her when she needs to bask of if she smells food. My Diamonds spend 90% of their day up in their hide with their heads sticking out checking what is going on. Then at night they either hang off the tree in hunting mode or curled up on the floor ready to eat anything that dares open the door.

Love them all to bits but only get them out when it is suitable to them rather than because I want a hold. Consequently it takes me longer to clean their enclosure than not should.

I have a male and female Stimson and they are chalk and cheese, the smaller male is always out and about unless he has just feed then he will retreat to his hide to digest, he has two hides and chooses to sleep on a branch out in the open. On the other hand the female is nocturnal, we only see her during the day when she alternates between inside the warm hide and basking on top.

They handle great not matter what time of the day just make sure they are awake and alert to you presence before trying to pick them up, but I guess that goes for all snakes.

Thanks so much. I expected it would vary greatly by individual pythons but it's great to read about yours. :)

Hi alichamp.

thanks for asking an interesting question, this should turn out to be a most fascinating thread.

I have a young BHP and a much bigger and I assume, a much older carpet python. Both love coming out and exploring. One of the interesting traits about them I noticed is that they try to **** when they're out, they seem to avoid doing it within their enclosures. Which is good and bad, as their **** does not smell, and I don't always spot it straight away.

Since the BHP is much smaller than the carpet python I never get them out together, but if one is out the other knows what is happening is interested in coming out too. I try to get them out weekly.

At the risk of crediting them with too much intelligence, they seem to understand more than we give them credit for.

thanks for asking an interesting question, this should turn out to be a most fascinating thread.
thanks [MENTION=34057]sherlock[/MENTION] I hope so!

thanks everyone who's posted, I figured it would come down to individual variation but it's great to read of people's experiences so please keep them coming :)

I own a Woma and his interest level is very high, much higher than a ball python. He actively looks around quite often, not because he's hungry. He's extremely docile. Gorgeous animal IMO. Sometimes he gets daily, other times weekly varies on my schedule.

I don't handle my pythons every day because of school but I try to get them out as often as I can, and also on the weekend.

I think you will find snakes to be similar in behaviour to the BT you refer too.
They can take us or leave us. So long as their basic needs are met they are happy to go without interaction with us at all.

I believe that snakes don't like to be handled but most of them learn at an early age that we are not going to harm them so they don't feel the need to fight when you interact with them. (Some plain don't want to see us and will strike at any opportunity).
I believe in handling when neccesary, cleaning, health checks etc but I don't have any set regime where I get them out just for the hell of it.
Low maintenence, easy to care for but if you want an animal that needs/wants you in their life snakes certainly don't fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back