Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chimerapro

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a specific thread to see what interest people have in joining The Darling Downs Herpetological Society. This society will mainly focus on education and field herpetology with a strong aim towards local and national reptile conservation projects and beginner education in regards to captive husbandry. We will be holding a meet and great gathering in the coming weeks in Gatton for all interested parties (alcohol and reptiles will not be permitted at the meet and greet). We look forward to you all getting on board and helping us "Share the Herp Love"

I'm interested, but getting to Gatton may prove interesting. I'm in Kearneys Spring (Toowoomba)

Congratulations on having a go, good stuff. Can I offer a word of advice.

Don't waste any meetings without an agenda or plan. Many new prospective members can be burned and never to return from meetings that have been run poorly. Idealy you need generate some form of excitement over the formation of a new society to help maintain motivation levels for the heavy lifting in regards to becoming a fully fledged incorporated society and all that entails. And don't rely on facebook , because if google can't find the society , how will new members find out about it !

Cheers,
Dave.

I'm interested, but getting to Gatton may prove interesting. I'm in Kearneys Spring (Toowoomba)
I'm in Drayton may have some spares seats for the ride down ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations on having a go, good stuff. Can I offer a word of advice.

Don't waste any meetings without an agenda or plan. Many new prospective members can be burned and never to return from meetings that have been run poorly. Idealy you need generate some form of excitement over the formation of a new society to help maintain motivation levels for the heavy lifting in regards to becoming a fully fledged incorporated society and all that entails. And don't rely on facebook , because if google can't find the society , how will new members find out about it !

Cheers,
Dave.
Thanks Dave,
Your advice is greatly appreciated and taken on board :) I will look into a website and we will have an agenda planed out for the meet and greet and subsequent meetings there after. I'd love to pick your brain one day on the phone if you don't mind? Really looking forward to making this work :)

Starting a herp society from scratch is a huge undertaking. Forming a committee of reliable, credible and motivated people to form then run the society will be your biggest hurdle. HSQInc went into hiatus due to nobody willing to come forward to serve on the committee even though 40-50 people where still attending their meetings. QRACinc went into remission for similar reasons.

All recent startups in SEqld have stumbled with this issue. Being an office bearer in an existing/already operating incorporated society is a hard thankless task. Being an office bearer in one starting from scratch....is in a league of its own.

SEqld is in dire need of a herp society in some form, the first committee elected or appointed is where it will either sink or swim.

Im in. who else! I know there are quite a few enthusiasts out at gatton im sure a few of them are on here.

Im in. who else! I know there are quite a few enthusiasts out at gatton im sure a few of them are on here.
Great news mate, hope you recovered from your birthday festivities ok?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for all the support, kind words of encouragement and phone calls of advice and interest. It warms my heart to know your all keen to make this work. Helping "Share the Herp Love" is what it's all about :)

Any idea on a date yet for the gathering?

What sort of venue? Park or hall?

It'll be a Sunday 11:30am for 12 o'clock start the undecided agenda (probably just an introduction to the founding members, how commitee election will take place and the society aims and goals) will be spoken about for approx 45mins-1hr then the meet and greet will begin BBQ, questions ect. I'm waiting on Gary to give me a call and also some information from Sandee in the mail for flyers ect before a date is set.

On a Sunday, be a nice day for a drive in the country.......

Gatton is not considered "in the country" Nev!

On the Darling Downs , you are "in the country" when you can hop from one coal seam gas well head to the next without getting your feet dirty. :)

Cheers,
Dave.

On a Sunday, be a nice day for a drive in the country.......
Would love to have you there Nev, its lovely out here this time of year ;) It would be great to have someone like yourself make the trip out, Everyone is welcome. Hope we can count you in?

- - - Updated - - -

The time, date and location have been finalised please tell your friends.
Time 11:30am for 12noon start.
Date: 27/10/13
Place: Apex Park, Lake Apex drive Gatton 4343 next to Gatton cultural centre.
  • style="margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; border: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px"
    |-
    | style="vertical-align: top; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px" | Beginning with a brief presentation that will be held at 12 noon outlining the societies aims, goals, structure, committee nomination process, founders/members introduction and background ect. Then a social sausage sizzle and meet and greet, question time will be held after the introductory presentation. Sausage in bread and cold drinks will be available for $1ea this will help fund the first newsletter production, hall hire for first official meeting ect.
    No animals or alcohol will be allowed and violent/confrontational behaviour will not be tolerated!

Lets make this a fun, friendly and family orientated atmosphere. Help us "Share the Herp Love"

Bring your friends and family EVERYONE!! is welcome.
    We hope to see you all there :)

For more details please contact myself, Gary Fitzgerald or join the Darling Downs Herpetological Society Facebook group, our website is currently under construction but should be up and running by this weekend.
    Thanks for everyone's support and kind words of encouragement and advice, it really seems this is a thoroughly needed society for the region from what we have gathered from the response.
    |-

Well done :)

That is Sunday - 27th October.

11.30 am get there early and bring a chair

Off to a promising start.

I just googled Darling Downs Herpetological Society and the first 5 links are directly related to this group.

The other group that is trying to get traction has been having meetings since April and they still do not exist on google! :shock:

I'll see you there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back