Darwin carpet python substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grigals

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm setting up a new terrarium for my Darwin carpet python August and the last thing i need to add now is substrate. All the pet stores were recommending aspen bedding but I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing to use? I would really like a more natural looking substrate anyway, if anyone has any substrates they recommend please reply!

Aspen is great but expensive, especially if you're buying it from a pet shop. If you want something more natural looking than that I'm not sure what you can go for which is going to be any good. I go for practical, which rules out anything natural looking.

Newspaper for the win haha

I spent almost 20 years using newspaper for most of my snakes! Haha! I did eventually change, but newspaper is a decent option as long as you're willing to clean it promptly. These days I'm a fan of Breeders Choice, I like giving them a particulate substrate and something which holds a bit more thermal inertia, and I think it also stabilises the humidity and helps them slough. There's not a huge amount in it but that's my preference these days. Obviously it's not great for someone wanting it to look natural, but I've never been afflicted by wanting something in a plastic tub or chipboard box with electrical heating and a ceramic water bowl to somehow look natural! For the last 12 years or so I haven't even particularly wanted the snakes themselves to look natural! Haha!

I use Astro turf with newspaper underneath. It's great. I have 2 pieces cut to size for each enclosure so when I need to change I just remove the dirty one she put in the clean one, then clean the dirty ones. It's natural looking and easy to spot clean

I used Critter Crumble when they were small, until i moved them into their adult encosures , then either newspaper or plain white paper towel.

i used newspaper....untill the first rabbit came out and my newspaper basically disintegrated so had to use my hands :L !

now just nice strong butchers paper

Latest posts

Back