Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abbott75

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Side thread to the Womas on Class 1 thread.

There is talk of DECC enforcing minimum enclosure sizes, which are likely a lot larger than we currently keep our animals in.

Opinions anyone?

It would be a lot harder to 'enforce' in my opinion. They only way would be regular spot checks - don't know if they have the capacity for it. But then again, it would only be a good thing I guess. I have visited breeders who were keeping many reptiles in tiny enclosures so if this can be enforced it would definitely benefit the animals. Just hope they don't set riduculous requirements though (e.g. minimum 8 ft tank for spotteds :p)

They seem to be pretty serious about it. NPWS has employed another three people specifically for the spot checks, and they know what they're doing.

I don't it will be good at all. There is no possible way I could keep all my animals if Antaresia had a minimum 4x2x2.

I don't neglect any of my animals, but I do keep them in a tub/rack system, which will probably be outlawed if these moves go ahead.

Its so typical of them to enforce another law onto us, when they have probably never kept a reptile in their lives...Let me guess ...a captive reptile needs enough room in his cage to exercise and run around and take the kiddies out to play football....
Seriously though, how big are we talking???

The larger sizes also brings up the subject of heating, try keeping a good ambient in an enclosure with a 4 or 6 square meter floor space. Is raising the the enclosure sizes good for the animal? or just public perception?

draft sizes

Is there anywhere that the proposed minimum sizes can be found?

I haven't been able to find anything after a quick look at the DEC website.

The size thing is silly. Even if you let the snake have all the room it wants (by means of escaping lol) then it will find the snuggest place it can.

It might be intended for the benefit of the animal but we keepers know it isn't. I don't think the changes will go ahead though, there's too much opposition from keepers.

Is there anywhere that the proposed minimum sizes can be found?

I haven't been able to find anything after a quick look at the DEC website.

They have not been officially decided on yet, so havn't been published, there has been draft knocked up, but these arn't for public veiwing as yet as there are numerous matters that need ironing out.

Is there anywhere that the proposed minimum sizes can be found? I haven't been able to find anything after a quick look at the DEC website.
i rang them about it this morning and the woman on the end of the phone knew nothing about it. guess we'll have to wait a while yet

We gave our 4m olives a large enclosure, it meets the Victorian guidelines for keeping reptiles in captivity for length but not height and width, they would want an enclosure 1.8m long x1.0m high x 1.5m wide , we find all three in the smallest area that they can find, however they do use the space occasionally, the enclosure is 2.4 metres x 0.6mx0.6m......to ask for such dimensions is ridiculous.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreninf.nsf/93a98744f6ec41bd4a256c8e00013aa9/1f4999def151cfd4ca256f0f001b052b/$FILE/AG1134.pdf
That is the link to the document in current use for VIC.

They haven't been published yet, and they are doing ramdon checks at the moment.

NPWS are getting their act together.

They have not been officially decided on yet, so havn't been published, there has been draft knocked up, but these arn't for public veiwing as yet as there are numerous matters that need ironing out.

Thanks- I guess there's also all the fun of some form of public consultation process to follow.

Maybe I should finally join AHS or something similar in the hopes of finding out more ;)

I have heard things like many meters of floor space for 1 pair of small monitors, like tristis for eg... meaning in my entire herp room, which i keep many animals, i would be able to keep a couple of pairs of small monitors.

Firstly I would like to ask peoples opinions of how DECC will stand up in court if they impose min enclosure sizes that basically price people out of existing stock(reptiles) and also how they will stand up in court agaist hundreds of people who have spent many thousands on enclosures meeting current acceptable DECC standards, which are now worthless.

Also there is alot of research out there, and experience from qualified people, that prove alot of reptiles are better off in smaller enclosures. They can be maintained better, kept more hygenically, medicated, fed, and monitored better in small enclosures, and this is published, researched stuff.

A change in leglislation that makes worthless many thousands of dollars of investments (enclosures) and is also a step backwards in captive reptile husbandry.... I think we have a good case in court.

2.5 square meters per bearded dragon, 8square m for an olive large carpets in 6ft x 4ft x 4ft... no benefit to the animal!! just unpractical and rather difficult to maintain proper hygiene... it WOULD KILL the hobby as we know it... the Zoos struggle to meet the requirements they are proposing... 60square meters for a lacey. if it happens the big breeders are the ones they will go after first and they can not meet requirements

public perception... im sorry but no regular member of the public is welcome near, in or around me snakes so nope... dosent fit the bill. its stupid! my beleif however does relete to public perception in pet shops! they will be in shops soon but they first need to come up wuth the size enclosures for shops which is an issue in other states.

no body can come into my house and tell me that becuase my carpet is in an imaculate well maintained hygienic 4x2x2ft enclosure that my husbandary is not upto scratch.... they can take me to court... the can stick there 'ideas' somewhere else!!

as you could probably tell im alittle annoyed about the idea ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back