Deformity - Diamond Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello. Looking for anyone who has had a similar deformity on their python, as seen in the pic? Does anyone know if this could be an issue now or in the future?

My Diamond Python is approximately 10 months old, purchased mid December. Currently no issues with feeding. Has not had a shed as of yet. The deformity is present when he is curled up, straightened and as pictured.

I have contacted the shop where he was purchased, and they're confident there isn't an issue, but want to see if any others have had a similar issue.

Attachments

• Diamond.jpg
    Diamond.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 28
Hi

If your Python has not shed is a worry, they should shed 3 to 6 times a year. When handling your Python have you noticed that the muscles contract inward, this is pretty normal. I suspect the indentation you see, is just muscles contracted inward to support its body. Check the food size you are feeding is larger than its stomach. Python's skin can stretch up to 15 times normal but larger food will help the animal grow properly, the rule of thumb is just larger than its tummy, so it won't get fat. A good thing would be to buy a book on your python species, this should give you all the information you need. As for the indentation, if you are worried, find a good reptile vet and take it to them for examination, we are not vets and we can only give you our opinions and the Vet will see the actual animal.

Hi

If your Python has not shed is a worry, they should shed 3 to 6 times a year. When handling your Python have you noticed that the muscles contract inward, this is pretty normal. I suspect the indentation you see, is just muscles contracted inward to support its body. Check the food size you are feeding is larger than its stomach. Python's skin can stretch up to 15 times normal but larger food will help the animal grow properly, the rule of thumb is just larger than its tummy, so it won't get fat. A good thing would be to buy a book on your python species, this should give you all the information you need. As for the indentation, if you are worried, find a good reptile vet and take it to them for examination, we are not vets and we can only give you our opinions and the Vet will see the actual animal.
Sorry, to clarify, he has not shed since being in my possession from December.
The indentation is there at all times when curled up and stretched out.

Sorry, to clarify, he has not shed since being in my possession from December.
The indentation is there at all times when curled up and stretched out.
In this case, I would take him to a Vet for examination, if he is eating OK I can't see a problem but not eating could mean an obstruction. If he has not shed, try giving him a bath every few days which will give him some fluid in the skin to assist in the next shed. I hope it is all good for you both.

Latest posts

Back