Dehydration - experienced keepers only, please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gatorade is a sugar based softdrink, dont give it to your reptiles. If you are going to place then in a bath them water is adequate.
You dont need to inject water into the food. Put it in water before you feed the fur of feathers holds a lot of fluid. Its even easier than injecting rats.
I have been rehabbing reptiles for a few years now. I think I have got a handle on it.

My feeling from reading these posts, and the potentially useful advice offered, is that as I think -Peter mentioned, there is a problem with the sphincter not closing properly following the surgery, and allowing leakage of much of the fluid which is normally absorbed in the bowel to escape. It's often surprising to see just how much free fluid the snakes can hold in there without leaking until they have a crap, and it seems your animal is unable to prevent the constant leakage. I'd be discussing that with my vet if I was you. I think the problem is likely to be a mechanical one.

Jamie

Gatorade is a sugar based softdrink, dont give it to your reptiles. If you are going to place then in a bath them water is adequate.

I have been rehabbing reptiles for a few years now. I think I have got a handle on it.

Google Powerade use with reptiles
This is a VERY widely used treatment especially for dehydration
It works almost instantly unlike water
It helps get non feeders going
Great booster for mums if you use maternal incubation etc etc
The composition is nearly identical to reptile boosters available from vets overseas

In this particular case it is sounding more and more like bad internal problem
So it may or may not help

Is there any scientific literature about powerade being effective being used like that?

If snakes have the ability to rehydrate through immersion would not placing them in salt water have the effect of dehydrating them through osmosis?

It is possible for a swimmer to get dehydrated.

I think those drinks are "isotonic" Rams - they have equal osmotic pressure to the fluid in healthy, hydrated living cells. When dehydrated, the cells can pull the electrolytes out of the drink and into the cell body... so there is no dehydration by osmosis. Swimmers actually sweat while undertaking strenuous activity, you just don't see it.

Jamie

Is there any scientific literature about powerade being effective being used like that?

Can only say what Ive seen
Nearly dead snakes with tented skin etc etc back in good shape within hours
Monitors that were shut in rooms for a long time coming good almost instantly
Mums that were in terrible condition after breeding coming good

I feel like I've opened a can of worms... (Also, I was probably overreacting. Yes, there is a mechanical problem, but overall my snake's health seems fair.)

Snakes have a higher surface area to volume ratio, so that might impact how effective a powerade bath is compared to a person.

Also, note that if people swimming in the ocean are soaking up extra salt, healthy kidneys would handle that pretty well. (and you don't tend to go to the beach without drinking water.)

Also, you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink... Has much comparison been made on the effectiveness of a water bath compared to a powerade one? If the powerade is diluted, then they're probably getting more water than salt anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back