Diamond Python (Day & Night Cycle)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObeliskRavinXimena

Reaction score
I'm seeking some advice on how to provide adequate light cycles for my Diamond Python, I was told upon adoption that she was around 20 years old, measuring almost 9ft.

Currently her enclosure only has a ceramic head emitter which reaches 25 degrees Celsius during an Australian Autumn (14degC outside) and a UVA / UVB bulb which does not emit heat.

I have not owned her long and have begun to read about light cycles and I believe what she is receiving is not adequate.

What would you all advise I use in order to make her more comfortable?

If I give her a basking spot would I need to adjust her climbing material as not to let her coil up on the light cages and get burned?

Thank you to those that take the time to read and answer my questions.
PEACE! :)

Attachments

• 20220518_145523.jpg
    20220518_145523.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220521_174241.jpg
    20220521_174241.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 14
My first question would be define lighting cycle?

Are you referring to UV light? In which case, it is not required regardless of what anyone says.. pythons are mostly nocturnal therefore do not rely on UV.

Are you referring to heat cycle? In which case, I say set your thermostat approx 1/3 from the cool side at 26 degrees and forget about it. Job done.

Moniter the animals shed to check for humidity issues and food habits to ensure adequate heat retention.

As for climbing equipment, anything that you prefer visually is fine, a log, a couple of old books stacked up, a rope, anything provided you can maintain adequate hygiene standards.

As for burns, the cages are designed to prevent burns, my animals regularly curls up and even hang from the cages with no issues. So you should be fine.

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back