discolouration on my stimsons python - burn or scale rot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowercow

Reaction score
Hi, I noticed some marks on my stimson’s python’s tummy and a few spots along his back when I got him out today. The lamp cage broke and I haven’t replaced it yet, so I am worried he might have burned himself. Does this look like a burn? Or maybe scale rot? If it looks like something to be concerned about I am happy to take him to the vet, but it’s far away so I don’t want to take him if it’s nothing.
Thanks for any possible help
3F482856-0566-4952-B656-FE6F6111FA92.jpeg3A0073F7-9293-45C0-B51C-2372D4A03F76.jpeg91DE92A0-D829-4966-8592-5022E453D8A7.jpeg

I realise this post is a month old, so am answering for the benefit of others reading this thread. It looks like a minor burn. The absence of any fluid exuding from the area is a good sign, indicating the integrity of the skin as a barrier is still intact. It will therefore heal by itself and should disappear with the next shed or so. Had it been more than superficial and broken the surface, it would require the snake to be kept in a fairly sterile environment, such as paper towel substrate in a glass tank, and given a daily 30 min soak in 5 – 10% Bettadine solution, until the wound heals.

Obviously, the lamp cage would have been fixed or replaced. Did you then check it with “the touch test”? If you cannot hold your hand on the protective cage whilst the heat source is turned on, without it hurting you, then that cage is too small for that strength heat source.

I realise this post is a month old, so am answering for the benefit of others reading this thread. It looks like a minor burn. The absence of any fluid exuding from the area is a good sign, indicating the integrity of the skin as a barrier is still intact. It will therefore heal by itself and should disappear with the next shed or so. Had it been more than superficial and broken the surface, it would require the snake to be kept in a fairly sterile environment, such as paper towel substrate in a glass tank, and given a daily 30 min soak in 5 – 10% Bettadine solution, until the wound heals.

Obviously, the lamp cage would have been fixed or replaced. Did you then check it with “the touch test”? If you cannot hold your hand on the protective cage whilst the heat source is turned on, without it hurting you, then that cage is too small for that strength heat source.
Thankyou. That was very helpful for me also. Cheers

Hi, I noticed some marks on my stimson’s python’s tummy and a few spots along his back when I got him out today. The lamp cage broke and I haven’t replaced it yet, so I am worried he might have burned himself. Does this look like a burn? Or maybe scale rot? If it looks like something to be concerned about I am happy to take him to the vet, but it’s far away so I don’t want to take him if it’s nothing.
Thanks for any possible help
View attachment 334846View attachment 334847View attachment 334848
Yes. Its a burn (i.m.o). Poor boy. Im hoping he has shed by now & everything is good. Please let us know. He's just beautiful 😍

Latest posts

Back